What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Musical Notation app for the iPad?

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched the messages here and I've also searched over at the App Store, looking for an app I can use for music composition, not just playback. So far, the only one I've found that seems halfway decent is Notion. I've tried out several free versions of musical notation apps, but none of them appear to do what I'm hoping to accomplish, so I don't hold out much hopes for the full versions. There is no free version of Notion, however, so I thought this might be the best place to ask.

I'm using an iPad Air, 32GB. I like it a lot and I'm slowly coming up to speed using it for my music tasks. I've played around a bit using the version of Notion for Windows, and it seems to be reasonably comprehensive, and I'm hoping that much of this has been transferred over to the iOS APP. I saw just yesterday where the full-blown version is being offered at half off ($50) and I'm thinking about springing for a copy since, as I recall, the two flavors can share common files, which would be handy.

Anything you'd care to share would be most welcome, either about Notion or another product that you feel is worth consideration.

Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use (and like) the Notion app. I use it casually, I'm not a composer or anything, but IMHO, its and awesome musical composition app. I've never regretted spending the money.

Speaking of money, are you sure you are looking at the iOS AppStore for this app? Cause my iPad's AppStore shows the price at $14.99 (USD); here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notion/id475820434?mt=8

I can answer any specific question about it, if you wish.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The version in the App Store seems pretty full_functioned to me. My guess is the poster has not seen that version. $15 is money well spent for that app.

OP
C

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, guys. Yes, I'm aware that the app is $15. The one for $50 I was referring to is the windows application. As I mentioned above, as I recall from the app's description, it and the windows version can share files. This can be very useful for me personally, since I also have a DAW, thus a benefit is a more seamless workflow. But mostly I want something reasonably full-featured for my iPad so I can have the portability that even a laptop won't provide, due primarily to the vastly longer battery charge time of the iPad vs a laptop (10 hours vs ~2 hours).

I'm encouraged by your recommendations. I believe I'll go spring for the $15 app now.

OP
C

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a follow up -- I bought the Notion app and this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I like it enough such that I think I'll take advantage of Notion's 50% off May sale on their desktop version. Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know.

Like Marilyn I don't have a professional use for it, but I like to play with stuff, so Notion is now on my someday list.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had to hold myself back from buying it. While I play clarinet in a quintet, I rarely need such software. Still.....

OP
C

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to hold myself back from buying it. While I play clarinet in a quintet, I rarely need such software. Still.....

Well, when you load the program, first thing it does is display a sampling of already scored out pieces, all classical. So before I did anything else, I listened to Beethoven's Piano Concerto #4 and Mozart's Horn Concerto #3. I did this mostly because I wanted to hear what the MIDI instruments sounded like, and how well it handled MIDI. I was fairly impressed. Yes, you can tell it's MIDI, but the sound quality of the instruments was quite good and a good job was done with regards to dynamics and tempo. Oh, and by the way, one of the sample pieces is an excerpt from K.622, Motzart's Clarinet Concerto. It occurs to me that Notion could well be the classical player's equivlaent to Band in a Box, assuming I guess that it won't be too difficult to import other pieces into the app.

Most reactions