What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music vids and TV shows disappeared when syncing

grdn19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.
Just synced my iPad1 to iTunes on my new MacBook Pro. It was the first syncing to this laptop.
I was asked if I wanted to download my purchases from the iPad before backing up, so I said yes.
Now a whole bunch of music videos and TV shows have disappeared from the iPad and are not in iTunes. Most but not all of the music vids and TV content disappeared. (I've lost at least 20 music vids and even more TV show eps.)
It was all legit, paid-for content. As a test, I tried re-purchasing one of the clips I'd bought but which was no longer there — iTunes knew I'd previously bought it and downloaded it for free.
The music vids that didn't disappear are my six most recent purchases. The surviving two TV eps are also the most recent I purchased.
Any suggestions how to retrieve the stuff that's disappeared? I can't remember all the clips/eps I bought.
Signed,
Desperate, confused and very annoyed

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you check the Purchased section of the iTunes store you can see (almost) everything you've eve bought (excluding movies). By choosing Not in My Library (on computer) or Not on This iPad you can limit the view to things you may want to download again.

There are exceptions, and unfortunately music videos seem to be a lot of those. At least half my music videos do not show up.

Unless you can recover them from your old computer, they are probably gone. Keep checking iTunes though. It is always possible Apple will manage to get the necessary rights and add them to the purchased section later.

OP
G

grdn19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, the pain ...

Thanks, twerppoet.

I have checked the purchased section of iTunes and none of the missing music videos or tv eps are listed, just the last few things I've purchased. (Some of the missing stuff I bought just a couple of weeks ago.)

And — contrary to what I posted originally — iTunes has now charged me for the replacement clips/eps even though it acknowledged I'd previously bought them when I tried downloading them again. So I've been charged double for a whole lot of content.

I did deauthorize an old computer just before the sync that wiped the content. I'm pretty sure the content wasn't on that computer, I haven't synced with it for a long long time.

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and warn others that iTunes is not as perfect/simple to use as they think ...

Cheers and thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. If it was not in the Purchased section iTunes will charge you again. It all depends on whether they could get the owner of the rights to sign off on redownloading. The ability to redownload music and TV is only a couple months old, so keep an eye on it to see if the stuff you have not already double payed for tuns up.

DeniseB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I replaced my IPad2 with another one after breaking my first one. (Apple let me purchase a new one for $250 - better than trying to get the old one fixed.)
Anyhow, I had backed up the old one and then restored onto the new one. All the old apps are available to be downloaded (and content and settings are there when I use them), but no purchased videos. And I can't even locate the videos I had purchased in iTunes to re-purchase them (Armageddon, Pearl Harbor). Frustrating. This is the only downfall from my experience.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DeniseB said:
I replaced my IPad2 with another one after breaking my first one. (Apple let me purchase a new one for $250 - better than trying to get the old one fixed.)
Anyhow, I had backed up the old one and then restored onto the new one. All the old apps are available to be downloaded (and content and settings are there when I use them), but no purchased videos. And I can't even locate the videos I had purchased in iTunes to re-purchase them (Armageddon, Pearl Harbor). Frustrating. This is the only downfall from my experience.

Is it worth contacting Apple to see if they can maybe run a report on your account and provide you with links to your purchased videos? I have no idea if it will work but I'm firmly in the don't ask, don't get camp!

The Archangel

Most reactions