What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad iTunes won't play tv shows from Library

melatwig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2, running 5.1.1, and my iTunes app is up to date.

I have purchased and downloaded a tv series from iTunes on my iPad. When I open my iTunes Library, it does not show the tv series. It only shows an empty page showing "No music" (which is fine, I have no music) - but why doesn't it list my tv shows to play? Any tips?

This is all I see
photo.PNG

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Use the Videos app for TV series and Movies synced from iTunes. Music app for music, podcasts, etc. The one called iTunes is the iTunes store.

OP
M

melatwig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. That solved my problem (and made me feel like an idiot - d'oh).

walter51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is the name of this app? Same problem. Searched for video app and nothing came up.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
walter51 said:
what is the name of this app? Same problem. Searched for video app and nothing came up.

The app is part of iOS 5. The icon is a clapper board and labelled Video. Will already be on your iPad.

jman995x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use the Videos app for TV series and Movies synced from iTunes. Music app for music, podcasts, etc. The one called iTunes is the iTunes store.

Okay, I had a ton of videos in .MOV format and converted all of them to .MP4 format so that they'd play on my iPad.
Then I came across a post saying that if I changed the media type from "Movie" to "TV Show" that I could put them into playlists. So, I did change all of the formats to "TV Show". iTunes converted them to TV Show and moved them out of my Movies folder and into my TV Shows folder. I then created playlists and categorized the videos in question. Then I synced my TV Shows (which took a really long time, oddly enough). Now that the sync is done, my iTunes usage meter on my computer shows all of the videos taking up space on my iPad, but my iPad doesn't have a single video or "TV Show" on it. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Justin

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jman995x said:
Not one video.

Just a dark grey screen that says:
"No Videos"
"You can download videos from iTunes ->"

Wow, that is odd. Just to be thorough, try looking in Music (I don't think they will be there, but check anyway), and also look in your Camera Roll/Photos in case it has created an album somehow.

Does the playlist show up in Music?

jman995x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that is odd. Just to be thorough, try looking in Music (I don't think they will be there, but check anyway), and also look in your Camera Roll/Photos in case it has created an album somehow.

Does the playlist show up in Music?

Nope, already checked all of those.
Oddly enough, the Playlist Folder and included playlists show up in the leftside iTunes bar, however, when I go into the "Music" tab (when my iPad is plugged in, and my iPad is selected), neither the folder nor the playlists are shown.

I'm in the process of unchecking the TV Shows, re-syncing to clear the iPad, then re-checking the "Sync TV Shows" button and trying to reinstall them.

jman995x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just resynced all 135 .MP4 "TV SHOWS" (which took 45 minutes), and iTunes thinks it accomplished something and my iPad is playing the amnesiac.
I can always change the status back to "Movie", but wanted to segregate the different videos into different categories via "TV Show" playlists.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jman995x said:
Just resynced all 135 .MP4 "TV SHOWS" (which took 45 minutes), and iTunes thinks it accomplished something and my iPad is playing the amnesiac.
I can always change the status back to "Movie", but wanted to segregate the different videos into different categories via "TV Show" playlists.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

I've just been googling around the issue in regards to playlists. The general vibe is that playlists containing videos just don't work we'll on the iPad ( or any other iOS device).

Instead of trying playlists, try editing the metadata of each video to get the videos "grouped" in a similar fashion to TV series. Anything for the same theme or "playlist" you can use numbers like episode numbers to sort hem into the sequence you want. You can use the Get Data option when you right click the file in iTunes to edit the metadata. I did that with a series of messages I downloaded from a website and converted to mp4. Marked them as TV shows, and edited the metadata to get them showing as a series, and in the correct order.

jman995x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just been googling around the issue in regards to playlists. The general vibe is that playlists containing videos just don't work we'll on the iPad ( or any other iOS device).

Instead of trying playlists, try editing the metadata of each video to get the videos "grouped" in a similar fashion to TV series. Anything for the same theme or "playlist" you can use numbers like episode numbers to sort hem into the sequence you want. You can use the Get Data option when you right click the file in iTunes to edit the metadata. I did that with a series of messages I downloaded from a website and converted to mp4. Marked them as TV shows, and edited the metadata to get them showing as a series, and in the correct order.

Thanks for the advice.
They are already in order because of the name I've given them (Bio-01, Bio-02, Bio-03, etc.), and they play perfectly when they are "Movies" in the "Movie" folder instead of "TV Shows" in the "TV Show" folder...just can't figure out why the iPad can see them in one format/folder and not the other.

I'll let you know if I ever figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

J.

Most reactions

Latest posts