What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music app missing

AmandaPup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my iPad 2 for a couple of years now, but hadn't bothered using it to listen to or download music. Lately I decided to at least look into the application because I seem to be trying to help others with their devices. After a bit of beating my head against a wall, I learned that there is supposed to be a Music app (presumably factor installed) plus the iTunes Store app. I find a link to the Music app in the Settings but have checked the apps on my device and can't find the Music app. I have looked in all the folders, even the most unlikely but nada. Can I get it back, dig it out or whatever, without hauling off the the Apple Store?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you on? The really old versions, before iOS 5, there was no Music app. It was called the iPod app.

The Music app can not be deleted, so there is no provision for downloading it from iTunes. Assuming you are on iOS 5 or later, it's got to be on the iPad somewhere.

You can do a search for the app.

If you are on iOS 8, then swipe down in the middle of the home screen. You'll get a search field at the top. Enter "music". It should show the app (and probably some other things). It should also tell you what folder it is in, if any.

Before iOS 8, you swipe right on the home screen until you go past the first home screen. Similar to the previous one there will be a search field. Unlike iOS 8, it won't tell you what folder the app is in.

You can launch the app from either search result.

Note. Whether the spotlight search works with apps depends on your settings in Settings > General > Spotlight Search.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you on? The really old versions, before iOS 5, there was no Music app. It was called the iPod app.

The Music app can not be deleted, so there is no provision for downloading it from iTunes. Assuming you are on iOS 5 or later, it's got to be on the iPad somewhere.

If you are on iOS 8, then swipe down in the middle of the home screen. You'll get a search field at the top. Enter "music". It should show the app (and probably some other things). It should also tell you what folder it is in, if any.

Before iOS 8, you swipe right on the home screen until you go past the first home screen. Similar to the previous one there will be a search field. Unlike iOS 8, it won't tell you what folder the app is in.

Note. Whether the spotlight search works with apps depends on your settings in Settings > General > Spotlight Search.
The swipe down to search using Spotlight Search was introduced with iOS 7.

OP
A

AmandaPup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I have iOS 8.3 - it just updated yesterday. I reset the Spotlight Search to show songs and music. Now the app shows up, but none of my items which were supposedly synced.

Unfortunately it seems that I can only find the Music app on a search. Still it is progress. Will try more later.

Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try a reset. Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. This won't delete anything. It's just a restart with a little extra oomph.

OP
A

AmandaPup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to sync again using another source and all seems to be ok now - I still have to search for Music but at least I can listen to my music on my iPad. Thanks to all.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried to sync again using another source and all seems to be ok now - I still have to search for Music but at least I can listen to my music on my iPad. Thanks to all.

Don't know for sure if this will fix your problem, but try Settings - General - Reset - Reset Home Screen Layout. This will put your home screen back to the default and all of your downloaded apps in alphabetical order beginning on the second screen. Naturally you'll have to go back and rearrange the icons to where they were before, but it should bring back the Music app icon.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you can find the Music app by searching: Spotlight Search will also show the folder where the app is "hidden".
image.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts