What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music App missing info

exeterwayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks, hope someone can help me. When I select an album in the Music App, it used the display the Artist in small letters under the Track Name. However it no longer does this and I can't workout why. I've tried tweaking with the App settings, and someone also suggested unticking the Part of a Compilation setting, not it still won't display the artist. What am I doing wrong?

Wayne

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some albums do, and some don't. In general albums with only one artist don't and compilations do; however there are a lot of exceptions to this in my library.

The key is probably in the track's info, which can only be accessed and modified in iTunes on the computer.

OP
E

exeterwayne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. I've just discovered that if I wifi sync via my iPad instead of through iTunes on the computer, the artists show up. When I do it via iTunes on PC they disappear again. So the trick is to always sync via the iPad :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are saying.

Do mean that you see the albums when syncing wi-fi, but not when syncing with the USB cable? I use the USB cable most of the time, and about half my albums show the artists.

I did some comparisons and the same albums that show the artists under the title on my iPad do the same in iTunes 11 on the computer; when viewing the albums. After some more experiments I discovered that changing the Album Artists field to "Various Artists" or something else that does not match the Artist field will make the artists names appear. It also broke the album art.

You can play with this by right clicking on the album and choosing Get Info. That will view/edit the entire album. Select and right click on a song to view/edit that song's info.

So, provisionally, I stick with what I concluded earlier. Artists names are normally only displayed if there is more than one artists (group) on that album. The exceptions are probably just incorrectly entered Artist and Album Artist info for the album.

Then again, you could easily be seeing something different due to a bug or other feature I'm not finding.

Most reactions

Latest posts