What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music and Movies

clinker42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

What seperates movies from music on the IPAD. I have music videos and some movies, but when i send them to the IPAD, some music videos go into the music folder and others go into the video folder.

can i force all music (both music videos and music) to go into the music folder and force movies into the movie folder.

Thanks

amelie123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i think that ipad recognizes and seperates the music and movie files by looking at file extension so in my opnion it should not happen to you or may be you can check your file extensions as they can be same for example mp3 music or mp3 videos

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If they are being added via iTunes on the computer, its the Media Kind designator that makes the difference.

In iTunes on the computer, find the file, right click and choose Get Info. Media Kind is found/changed in the Options tab.

OP
C

clinker42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi again

music videos going into the Music folder are "Purchased MPEG-4 video file
music videos going into the Movies folder are MPEG-4 video file
stupid i tunes

L

Lunar

hi again

music videos going into the Music folder are "Purchased MPEG-4 video file
music videos going into the Movies folder are MPEG-4 video file
stupid i tunes

Obviously as far as the device is concerned both are in reality video files.

However I know what your saying.. and extra options to sort/separate files types would be nice. As already stated, you can go into the files info settings and make changes there as to file type ect. for example just to separate my hd camcorder files, I set those to be type 'TV' so they don't get mixed in with my film collection.
Not the ideal solution I admit, and it would be nice if they did allow more control and more sort choices, but doubt it will ever happen...doh.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

clinker42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LUNAR

How exactly do you do that, i can find the area that says Get Info, but my itunes doesnt have an options part

D

dvdcatalyst

in iTunes, select your video, or select a bunch of them that you want in a single group, then select Get Info.

You should get something like this:

civil-action-ipad3-get-info-300x266.jpg

go into the options tab, and change the media kind there.

Using the other tabs, you can organize TV episodes into a single group, along with common details such as name, season.

OP
C

clinker42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks
thats easy when you know how hey lol

can you tell me this
I have two drives on my PC, c: IS THE WINDOWS 7 DRIVE AND D: IS THE STORAGE DRIVE.

When i send stuff to itunes from the storage drive, does it copy it to the Itunes directory in c: drive or does it just creat a link

D

dvdcatalyst

thanks
thats easy when you know how hey lol

can you tell me this
I have two drives on my PC, c: IS THE WINDOWS 7 DRIVE AND D: IS THE STORAGE DRIVE.

When i send stuff to itunes from the storage drive, does it copy it to the Itunes directory in c: drive or does it just creat a link

:)

by default iTunes just links.

In Edit > Preferences > Advanced, you can enable "copy to iTunes folder"

Most reactions

Latest posts