What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple ipad to itunes to multiple PC relationships...

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ill have to play around with it, I guess....I'll set up a new account and try it out with my iPod.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Made a new acct, and it still shows the purchases and applications from my other personal account. Strange.......I thought it would be blank.

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Congrats on the recent nuptials! I went to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, just north of FDL. My wife went to law school at UW-Madison. We have season tix to the football games, so we're in Madison quite a bit. Madison is a GREAT town, and the Terrace is dynamite.

Small world...

Cheers,

M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Congrats on the recent nuptials! I went to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, just north of FDL. My wife went to law school at UW-Madison. We have season tix to the football games, so we're in Madison quite a bit. Madison is a GREAT town, and the Terrace is dynamite.

Small world...

Cheers,

M
Cheers!

Made a new acct, and it still shows the purchases and applications from my other personal account. Strange.......I thought it would be blank.
Did you change the login in iTunes?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matth3w said:
Did you change the login in iTunes?

I made a new account on my same main computer, and had access to all the other acct files & apps.

So I installed iTunes clean on a Laptop, and logged in with the new acct. I will have to go grab my iPod out of the car to get any further... :D

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hahaha ok. There is a spot up in the menu bar where you can change logins.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hahaha ok. There is a spot up in the menu bar where you can change logins.

Oh, I can flip between accounts fine. Once logged in to the new acct, I can see a purchase I made with the main account, and all the apps that were downloaded.

I guess the trick is to see what the behavior is between 2 computers, running the same acct..

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gents,

Okay, so my need to get this straight in my head has been bumped up, as I'm in possesion of two 32G 3G iPad's as I type this. Couldn't wait, decided to just buy the two that were available (eventhough we probably don't need two 3G's), and get rockin'. As such, I thought of a potential issue that probably has a solution just not sure.

So, I'm of the understanding that apps/music/movies, et al downloaded or otherwise reside on the local machine. As such, how does iTunes handle downloading an app for instance on one machine, then syncing an iPad on a different computer, but same iTunes account?

Everytime you log-in or sync does it pull from something local to Apple to ensure the latest purchases/downloads are on every PC? Are you prompted with something that says 'Your iTunes acct. needs to be reconciled', or something to that end?

Make sense?

Cheers,

M

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gents,

Okay, so my need to get this straight in my head has been bumped up, as I'm in possesion of two 32G 3G iPad's as I type this. Couldn't wait, decided to just buy the two that were available (eventhough we probably don't need to 3G's), and get rockin'. As such, I thought of a potential issue, that probably has a solution just not sure.

So, I'm of the understanding that apps/music/movies, et al downloaded or otherwise reside on the local machine. As such, how does iTunes handle downloading an app for instance on one machine, then syncing an iPad on a different computer, but same iTunes account?

Everytime you log-in or sync does it pull from something local to Apple to ensure the latest purchases/downloads are on every PC? Are you prompted with something that says 'Your iTunes acct. needs to be reconciled', or something to that end?

Make sense?

Cheers,

M

Yeap...I have the same question. I just don't want to pay double for each app on both iPads......I know if I have 2 iPads, 1 computer, 1 itunes acct it works fine.

But, need 2 separate computers to work.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will download apps to the iTunes account no matter which machine it was purchased on. It will be a lot more clear when you guys actually do it. It's too hard to sit here and try to guess what it might look like.

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matt,

I recognize that I'm asking questions in abstract, and that's never ideal. Rubber meets the road this evening for me and the wife! We're relatively bright folks, I'm guessing (hoping rather) we can figure it out...

Cheers,

M

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I don't have my iPads yet....I'm gonna restore my iPod touch to default, install an app, and see what the other computer with the same new itunes acct does with it when I connect it.....

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug that iPod Touch into the second computer with the same iTunes account and hit "transfer purchases from iPod". Alternatively, if your wife was to try to plug hers into the second computer without you ever plugging your iPod Touch into it, and tried to buy the same app under the same account, it would just say that it was already purchased and would you like to download it.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can plug that iPod Touch into the second computer with the same iTunes account and hit "transfer purchases from iPod". Alternatively, if your wife was to try to plug hers into the second computer without you ever plugging your iPod Touch into it, and tried to buy the same app under the same account, it would just say that it was already purchased and would you like to download it.

Yes, this is exactly what it just did. I purchased "angry birds" as I wanted to make sure I had a new, paid app from my Laptop that I just installed itunes on.

Moved iPod back over to my main computer, and just transfered this app back into iTunes.

Restoring the rest of my apps as well.

Will see if I can push all myapps from the iPod to the new iTunes install.

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning Matt/2k,

So, I set up both iPad's on two laptops, one master account. Everything seems to be working; however, I'll say I'm not certain I know exactly how I got it to work. :)

I'm also not certain that it's doing everything we want necessarily either. At this point, the only thing we have in our account is one downloaded app, the free Winnie the Pooh book, and photos off of our respective laptops.

Photos seem to have been dumped in one master folder inside of our respective 'home shares'. Can't seem to parse them out though? Wifey wants to be able to do that...I suppose I would too, if and only if I could get them off my device that way.

Also, it seems as though when we sync, we don't really have a say as to what gets synched it just sort of dumps everything onto the device. I thought we would have a say, and it was a fluid dynamic between the two devices?

I think I'm in need of a iTunes power user video or manual or something to that end, so I can learn what the app will allow you to do.

Bottom line, I see her library, she sees mine. I successfully copied over an app that I bought and got it on her machine. So, again, I think the framework is in place correctly, I just need to customize it, I think.

Any hints, tips, or good resources I might take a peek at?

Cheers,

M

Most reactions

Latest posts