What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 iPad, multiple computers

ochssee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Last month I bought and set up my iPad on a computer in my second home. Now, I want to set up and sync my iPad with my computer in my other place but find that, although I authorized the 'new' computer to transfer the apps from the ipad to the computer, the apps remain 'greyed out' and when I click on sync I get a warning that syncing will result in loss of all data and apps which are already installed on my ipad!! I have collected lots of video and text material over the past month while away on vacation and I cannot imagine I will lose all of this because I am using more than one computer! Any ideas? When I look at Itunes on my computer, it first 'shows' the files in eg Movie Player or Bluefire Reader briefly, but then the lists of what is installed on my ipad disappear. I can't figure out why itunes on my computer shows me what is installed on my ipad but doesn't back it up... Don't know what to do, am afraid to sync and lose everything I worked on since I bought the ipad!
Any ideas? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The message is "Don't sync with more than one computer". There are several threads on the Forum about this issue but the bottom line is "don't go there". Maybe there are some workarounds but you'll find many posts from Members who have managed to erase all their photos, music and apps.

Tim

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The message is "Don't sync with more than one computer". There are several threads on the Forum about this issue but the bottom line is "don't go there". Maybe there are some workarounds but you'll find many posts from Members who have managed to erase all their photos, music and apps.

Tim

Tim,
In the process of un-syncing an iPad from my iTunes account in order to set it up under someone else, it resulted in losing my apps. Now I have the apps I want on my iPad, but can't seem to sync them back on my computer. Is there a way to do this without losing everything? Thanks,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tim's probably asleep right now.

With your iPad connected, go into iTunes and right click on it under the Devices list, then select Transfer Purchases. This should copy all you apps and other Apple purchased content to iTunes.

JFrazier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Tim's probably asleep right now.

With your iPad connected, go into iTunes and right click on it under the Devices list, then select Transfer Purchases. This should copy all you apps and other Apple purchased content to iTunes.

You are a total life saver! Thanks so much, Twerppoet!

Most reactions

Latest posts