What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple ipad to itunes to multiple PC relationships...

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Apple hardware to iTunes account software and how they interact with each other and the pc/pc's where iTunes resides.

With two iPad's coming in the not so distant future, I need to get a handle on what I can and can't do, so I can set up our respective household iPad's appropriately. I'll try to make this as non-convoluted as I can...I appreciate your patience with me! :)

Okay, so I just bought two iPad's. One of which will be mine, the other my wife's. My wife has an iTunes account, but with just music on it. I don't have an iTunes account.

Would the following be a sound and feasable setup:

I set up a 'master account' (basically an iTunes account inwhich we will both use) with iTunes under my name. I sync my iPad initially to this account on our home desktop as the standard device to iTunes relationship. Then, we sync my wife's iPad to the same iTunes account, name the device different and set up a seperate profile/folder set inside of said account. The ultimate goal would be to utilize the 5 device instances you get with the purchase of a song/app/movie, etc...so, we don't have to buy something we each want twice. And, so we can share some pictures, movies that we put in there, etc...

Additionally, my wife would like to port over her existing music (some bought from iTunes some loaded from legal CD's) to those new profile/folder set we just created.

Finally, I/we would like to take said new iTunes 'master account' and be able to access it from our laptops as well, me plugging my iPad into mine, and hers into hers for easy synching capabilities on the fly or otherwise.

I hope this all makes sense, please ask any qualifying questions if I'm not.

So, is the above a prudent and possible solution for us?

Cheers,

M

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No love? Taboo topic or something in the Mac world? Asking the wrong questions the wrong way? :)

Cheers,

M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just saw this. iTunes is actually quite simple. The only issue with what you described is if you make a "master" account that is different from the music your wife already bought (if she bought some from iTunes) that won't transfer over.

All you have to do is make an account, and you can sync any number of devices that you want to that account, but only five different computers can be authorized the same iTunes account.

And each iPad you can set up to sync differently. Think of iTunes and your account as being a giant repository for everything...music, pictures, etc...and each iPad only takes what it specifically wants from this repository.

For example, my wife and I both have 64GB WiFis...on mine it's mostly TV shows and movies. On hers she has a mixture of music, tv shows, etc. All of our collective music from our computer is in the iTunes library, but we have slightly different tastes in music and tv shows. So she syncs her Bones episodes that are in our library whereas I sync Deadwood, The Wire, etc. I sync Trance music where she likes 80s music.

It's no issue, we just sync our iPads differently. Same with apps. You can buy an app and it will be available to both...even forgetting about iTunes completely, if you buy an app on your iPad through the app store, and she goes on her iPad and tries to buy the same app with the same account it will say it's already purchased.

Where you get into trouble is if you try to sync two accounts to two iPads, then you won't be able to share.

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Evening Matthew,

Thanks for the information, much obliged.

My wife didn't intend on porting music over to the iPad, as she has an iPod. So, based upon what I'm understanding in your post, my plan would work.

However, the question beg be asked, should we just stick with her original account and I'll 'use hers'? Is there a benefit to setting up a fresh account? If we just use hers, she wouldn't lose access to her music in the off chance she wants some on her iPad too.

Thoughts?

Cheers, and thanks again...

M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I would just use hers. My wife uses mine so to speak. We sync our iPods with the same library as well....

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem, that's what the forum is for. :D

BTW - my wife is from Fond du Lac originally, but she spent a lot of her adult life in Madison before moving with me. We just got married at the Monona Terrace in Madison in April....

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just saw this. iTunes is actually quite simple. The only issue with what you described is if you make a "master" account that is different from the music your wife already bought (if she bought some from iTunes) that won't transfer over.

All you have to do is make an account, and you can sync any number of devices that you want to that account, but only five different computers can be authorized the same iTunes account.

And each iPad you can set up to sync differently. Think of iTunes and your account as being a giant repository for everything...music, pictures, etc...and each iPad only takes what it specifically wants from this repository.

For example, my wife and I both have 64GB WiFis...on mine it's mostly TV shows and movies. On hers she has a mixture of music, tv shows, etc. All of our collective music from our computer is in the iTunes library, but we have slightly different tastes in music and tv shows. So she syncs her Bones episodes that are in our library whereas I sync Deadwood, The Wire, etc. I sync Trance music where she likes 80s music.

It's no issue, we just sync our iPads differently. Same with apps. You can buy an app and it will be available to both...even forgetting about iTunes completely, if you buy an app on your iPad through the app store, and she goes on her iPad and tries to buy the same app with the same account it will say it's already purchased.

Where you get into trouble is if you try to sync two accounts to two iPads, then you won't be able to share.

So you really are using 2 iPads, with 1 itunes Account on 1 computer?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 iPads, 2 iPod Nanos, and 1 iPod shuffle all on one computer with one account.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 iPads, 2 iPod Nanos, and 1 iPod shuffle all on one computer with one account.

Yeah, that is fairly simple then. We both have 1st Gen iPod Touches, Shuffles, and soon to have iPads.

We both also maintain separate computers and iTunes accounts. My main concern is the cost od apps for the iPad. I really don't want to buy a game for 4.99$, and my wife wants the exact same game.

I was thinking I could create a 3rd iTunes account on both my computer and her laptop, just for use with the iPad.

Would this allow the shared use of apps from the iTunes store, and also specific personal content from each computers library?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe with family sharing. Your best bet for simplicity's sake would be to set up your iTunes library on a shared external hard drive with the contents of everything. Use ONE iTunes account, log into that account on both computers and use the separate computer to access the same library. My wife has our iTunes on her laptop as well, she just doesn't use it as often. And her laptop iTunes' library is the same as the desktop because it shares the external drive.

I would not recommend a bunch of different iTunes accounts because then you will be buying apps twice, etc.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we have 1 account authorized across 2 computers, it should have access to the same purchased apps. Now, do you think it really cares about "local content" in the iTunes library itself?

I previously had itunes on a netbook, and also on my computer (same acct).....but my library was the same.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will have access to the same purchased apps...but if you don't care about keeping the same library content then you should be fine. I would just pick one account to make the master account.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will have access to the same purchased apps...but if you don't care about keeping the same library content then you should be fine. I would just pick one account to make the master account.

My only drawback I can see is any apps I bought for my Touch, I can't "touch" if I set up a new acct.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So just make that one the master account. I was in a similar situation where my wife was behind the curve so to speak, so she just started using my iTunes account since she really didn't have any purchased apps on her account. Just a TV show that she had purchased which I was able to duplicate through a torrent.

Most reactions

Latest posts