What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multiple devices

sclowry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this may be a silly question but I can't see to figure out what to do.i have bought my two sons and wife iPhones, and I use an iPad. We all use the same iTunes account. How can I separate these devices so I can use the app "find my friends"? I don't want to lose any warranty details.

Thanks in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the app use your AppleID as an identifier, or can you supply a different email address in a similar way to FaceTime/iMessage?

I'm not familiar with the app, so apologies for answering a question with a question.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
S

sclowry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must log into the app with a valid appleid. So only one device can use the appleid.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sclowry said:
You must log into the app with a valid appleid. So only one device can use the appleid.

That doesn't sound promising. I'll do some digging. See if I can ferret something out.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found this. Let us know if it will work in your case. I copied and pasted it so the reference is not to your wife, its someone else's.

Only one of your devices that share an iCloud account can be monitored by somebody else (i.e. your wife) using a different iCloud account. If you go into the 'Find My Friends' app on one of your devices, and click on 'Account', you will see a section titled 'Active Device'. That is where you identify which device you want to be tracked (it shows all devices using the same iCloud account).

The only way I could see to get around this is to create unique iCloud accounts for each of your devices and have your wife track all of them - then you wouldn't need to change which device is active as you yourself change which device you are carrying at any given time. Those accounts would only be used for tracking - your primary iCloud account would still be on each device for the purposes of syncing.

Credit: Apple Support Communities.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an alternative app. I keep track of four iPads, all are registered in one AppleID but each iPad has a unique name. I use FindiPhone app. It is not as good as Find My Friends, but it does track, on a map where all of these devices are located.

Last edited:
OP
S

sclowry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The multiple iCloud accounts did the trick. Thanks very much for the assist.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that it worked.

Most reactions

Latest posts