What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

multi-computer document transfer

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is what I need to do, is it possible? If so, how?

As an attorney, I take a lot of notes. My desk is covered with yellow legal pads. I would rather use my ipad. However, I need a way to transfer notes from my ipad to my work computer without wifi. I have my ipad synced with my home computer. I use quickoffice. Is there anyway to draft in quickoffice, save, and transfer to multiple computers? I am thinking a jumpdrive-ish app, or a way to sync with multiple computers? Other helpful apps?

Thanks

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it a wifi only iPad or wifi+3G?

If it's wifi+3G, your best solution is to use Dropbox. If it's just a wifi iPad and without using wifi, you won't be able to access your files in Dropbox.

I believe you can sync an iPad to multiple computers, but I don't know the details.

OP
C

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, i forget that i have to specify. I am running at 16 gig wifi. I don't have access to wifi at my office because my firm has everything hardwired. Can anyone verify the ability to sync with multiple computers? If so, is there a trick to it? I may just try connecting tomorrow if i get some time.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app good reader will allow you to add and save apps to a computer throu itunes

OP
C

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume you mean more than one computer? Would this include the ability to transfer quickoffice docs?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Without WIFI access I know of no way to do it. With WIFI it would be easy with Dropbox.

If there is WIFI access where you are taking the notes, they could sync in the cloud while you are there with access. If you have to do it in the office where there is no WIFI , then no.

omro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
look elsewhere on the forum, someone posted a link to a small usb flash drive or reader (I forget) which had built in WIFI which I'm pretty sure worked with the iPad somehow. I recommend that you look into that.

Alternatively, look into tethering your iPad to your mobile phone, that works fine for me for out of office syncs to DropBox, which is truly awesome. I've totally replaced my USB flashdrive thanks to DropBox.

OP
C

crimlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Omro, what service are you tethering with? Verizon? Apple? I was considering the bluetooth tethering with my verizon blackberry, but from what I understand, I have to pay extra for that capability. Maybe I am wrong.

A flash drive with a wifi boadcast? Do I understand you correctly? That would solve a lot of issues.

For anyone weighing options, consider this a minor inconvenience and big reason to consider the 3G if you have the extra cash.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So long as you have itunes you can transfer documents to and from

Most reactions