What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS Office apps problem

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have, as separate apps, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. A few days ago, updates to each of these were released via the App Store.

However, each time I tried to download them the iPad crashed and ether froze or rebooted. I carried out a hard reset but that did not cure the problem.

I have experienced a failed update before and i resolved that by deleting the offending apps and re-downloading from scratch but this time that doesn't work, atleast so far.

The three apps appear in the App Store with the expected "Cloud" symbol showing that I have downloaded them before but they aren't currently installed.

When I clck on the Cloud symbol to download the apps changes the symbol, for around one or two seconds, to a thin blue circle, by which I mean before any "progress" thickening appears. the thin circle then changes back to the Cloud symbol again and the download doesn't start.

And so on, ad nauseam!

I have, according to Settings, 7.9GB available so I am assuming that space is not the cause. This august and highly esteemed forum does not appear, as far as my quick search reveals, to highlight any problem with the apps themselves so I must conclude that the fault lies with me - but how can I get round it and return these apps to my iPad?

Thanks in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It may be the App Store itself. Often this corrects itself, but you can try signing out and back in under Settings > iTunes & App Store and see if that helps. Also, make sure you have a reliable wi-fi connection. Some larger apps won't download using a cellular connection (you should be warned when you try).

Though less likely to help, you can also try turning your home wi-fi router off for a minute, then back on.

Another reset (holding down the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears) won't hurt.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've tried your advice, twerppoet, but to no avail(ish).

A week on and only Word has updated correctly. Excel (which I want) and PowerPoint (which I can live without) both go through the process with the "circle" becoming thicker but then they never complete and the circle never quite closes. Often during the download attempts, but not always, the iPad freezes or reboots.

I'm beginning to think that it must be something to do wth me, otherwise there would be other posts on the matter, but quite what that problem might be I really cannot think.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I have managed to download them all now.

Word sorted itself out somehow and I managed to get Excel to download at about the fourth time of asking, but PowerPoint! To get that I had to use iTunes and click the Install button within my Apps list.

I must confess that I had forgotten about the iTunes route and, should anything like this happen again then that's what I shall try first.

No other apps than these three have or had any trouble and it remains a mystery!

Thanks for offering your advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts