What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App updating woes

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone have better luck than me with this problem? I've encountered this a couple of times when apps need updating:

I hit "Update all," then an app or two is too big to update via wi-fi or 3G. So I go to update via iTunes and my computer, but the stinking app doesn't appear to update and the icon hangs in "Loading" status, grayed out. Because it's grayed, there's no way to delete it. I tried a hard restart on the device, but no luck. I called AppleCare, which suggested all the same steps I'd already tried. I ended up having to erase all my content and settings, at their suggestion, which is what I tried to avoid before calling them. Then I end up having to synch interminably long, to load all my stuff back on my device, and having to re-enter passwords on a bunch of apps and email accounts.

In two cases, iTunes loaded an apparently new version of the app, but the stinking old version continued to stay in my device. So I'd have a new version of Yahoo Messenger, for instance, and an old one right next to it, except grayed out.

With Barnes & Noble's Nook app, I got an error message saying that its resources had changed, so it wouldn't update. But again the stupid icon hung on, grayed out, next to a new version of the app. Ugh.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Anyone have better luck than me with this problem? I've encountered this a couple of times when apps need updating:

I hit "Update all," then an app or two is too big to update via wi-fi or 3G. So I go to update via iTunes and my computer, but the stinking app doesn't appear to update and the icon hangs in "Loading" status, grayed out. Because it's grayed, there's no way to delete it. I tried a hard restart on the device, but no luck. I called AppleCare, which suggested all the same steps I'd already tried. I ended up having to erase all my content and settings, at their suggestion, which is what I tried to avoid before calling them. Then I end up having to synch interminably long, to load all my stuff back on my device, and having to re-enter passwords on a bunch of apps and email accounts.

In two cases, iTunes loaded an apparently new version of the app, but the stinking old version continued to stay in my device. So I'd have a new version of Yahoo Messenger, for instance, and an old one right next to it, except grayed out.

With Barnes & Noble's Nook app, I got an error message saying that its resources had changed, so it wouldn't update. But again the stupid icon hung on, grayed out, next to a new version of the app. Ugh.

You have a download limit of 20mb via 3g....unlimited downloading 20mb+ when on wifi. If you tried to start it on 3g....ipad will stall the install until it finds a wifi spot to continue download which might promp you for your iTunes pw.

Does it show up twice in iTunes on pc?

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps in question wouldnt update on wi-fi or 3G, so I tried USB and iTunes. There, new versions of the apps loaded, but the grayed-out old versions remained. Like I said originally: I ended up with two icons of the same apps, side by side, except one was grayed out.

I had the same hanging problem with iDevices that are wi-fi only (a touch) and iPads and an iPhone, which are 3G. I've been updating apps for several years without problem; this just cropped up with two PITA apps, and I wanted to know whether others had encountered likewise and dealt with it more efficiently, for future ref. AppleCare was not able to offer suggestions beyond what I'd already tried. I had to reset all my settings and erase all my content to get rid of the grayed-out icons.

Most reactions