What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing MP4 files

Jim W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just started using the iPad2. One of my main uses is video production using iMovie. Here is my question. I can import mp4 video file just fine through the media connector and the play just fine. However, I can't import them through iTunes. Why not? The issue is not incompatibility. It is far easier to use iTunes. And I don't want to convert files. That is stupid. Mp4 is a universal format. Any thoughts?

Jim

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can. Open iTunes and go to "File" on the top menu bar. When the menu opens, click on "add file to library". Navigate to where the file is saved on your computer. This will add the MP4 file. Make sure you have the Sync Movies" checked on the Movies tab. Sync as normal and the file will import, usually to the "Videos" category. :)

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other way to do it via iTunes is to put the particular project's videos into a folder in your PC, under My Pictures. Plug the iPad in and once connected, go to the Photos tab. Check the box that says Include Videos, then select the folder you created. Hit sync.

Once synced, the whole folder will appear in your Photos app as an album. This will be accessible to apps like iMovie and Avid.

OP
J

Jim W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I will give these ideas a try and report back to you.

OP
J

Jim W

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been unable to sync MP4 file to iPad without converting them. I downloaded a converter and it works fine. So, I will either convert all my files or transfer them to my SD card and bring them in through the camera connector. It would be so nice not to do either of these and simply sync the files as shot. Thanks for your help.

D

dvdcatalyst

I just started using the iPad2. One of my main uses is video production using iMovie. Here is my question. I can import mp4 video file just fine through the media connector and the play just fine. However, I can't import them through iTunes. Why not? The issue is not incompatibility. It is far easier to use iTunes. And I don't want to convert files. That is stupid. Mp4 is a universal format. Any thoughts?

Jim

iTunes is a bit more picky in what it would transfer than the iPad. MP4 is a universal format, but it is a container, similar as AVI, and as a result, it can contain video in a variety of different formats. On top of that, things like framerate, compression settings all can cause complications when you transfer them over. Especially if the video portion is compressed using AVC/H264, there are 1000's of little things that can be enabled/disabled, and iTunes just has to not like one of those to prevent the transfer.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thank you for the info.

You are welcome Jim,

To avoid the need of conversion, maybe try a few different settings on your camera to see if you can end up with files that iTunes doesn't complain about. It could be something as simple as lowering the quality slightly (which is what likely happens with a conversion as well).

Most reactions

Latest posts