What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

move apps from 1st gen to Air, different apple ID

Shirva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have questions about Family Sharing - I think.

I own an iPad 3rd Gen.
I also own an iPad 1st generation that my son and I share.
All the apps were downloaded using my Apple ID.
I am buying my son an iPad Air for Christmas.
I want to turn on Family Sharing and give my son his own Apple ID.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the apps that I had previous purchased onto his new iPad.

Originally, my intention was to do an iCloud backup of the 1st gen, then restore to the Air.
iCloud restore would restore the applications *AND* their data (ie: saved games or game levels).
But that would put all the purchases back under my Apple ID.

So here is my question.
How can I get the MY purchases from the 1st gen to the Air but under HIS id *AND* save his game levels?

Can i use Family Sharing with the 3rd Gen, and just share all the applications?
I am assuming YES but he will lose all his game levels.
Maybe I do the iCloud restore using my ID, getting all the apps and their data restored,
then we change the iTunes ID to his new ID and let all future purchases be under his ID.

Any ideas ???

thanks in advance,
Shirva

Last edited:
OP
S

Shirva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be clear, I will enable Family Sharing on my 3rd Gen, then add his new iPad Air apple id.
Shirva

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have questions about Family Sharing - I think.

I own an iPad 3rd Gen.
I also own an iPad 1st generation that my son and I share.
All the apps were downloaded using my Apple ID.
I am buying my son an iPad Air for Christmas.
I want to turn on Family Sharing and give my son his own Apple ID.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the apps that I had previous purchased onto his new iPad.

Originally, my intention was to do an iCloud backup of the 1st gen, then restore to the Air.
iCloud restore would restore the applications *AND* their data (ie: saved games or game levels).
But that would put all the purchases back under my Apple ID.

So here is my question.
How can I get the MY purchases from the 1st gen to the Air but under HIS id *AND* save his game levels?

Can i use Family Sharing with the 3rd Gen, and just share all the applications?
I am assuming YES but he will lose all his game levels.
Maybe I do the iCloud restore using my ID, getting all the apps and their data restored,
then we change the iTunes ID to his new ID and let all future purchases be under his ID.

Any ideas ???

thanks in advance,
Shirva
Family sharing would let your son use the apps purchased with your Apple ID, on his iPad with his own Apple ID. There is no way, however, to transfer any of your apps to his Apple ID.

If you downloaded your apps onto his iPad using your Apple ID, he would have to sign out of his iTunes account and sign into your account everytime those apps required updating.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He would have to enter the password of your Apple ID when the apps purchased with your ID have to be updated.

OP
S

Shirva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He would have to enter the password of your Apple ID when the apps purchased with your ID have to be updated.

understood, I'm hoping that over time, he would play the old apps less and less and the new apps that he downloaded under his ID more and more. I was going to try to get his iPad setup so when he opened the box, he was ready to play. Instead, I might need to sit down and give him the options: 1) iCloud restore, he needs my password to play his old games BUT he gets to keep his save games. 2) setup as new, he can share my apps but he loses his previous save games.
what do you guess he will pick? seriously, I don't know.
maybe I do option #1 and then give him option 2 on Christmas day ?

looking for ideas please.

Shirva

OP
S

Shirva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going with this. We sat down and discussed it and wants to keep his levels and in-app purchases. but all new purchases will be under his apple id.
I don't see where I select your answer as the correct choice or give thanks.

Thank you very much.
Shirva

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going with this. We sat down and discussed it and wants to keep his levels and in-app purchases. but all new purchases will be under his apple id...

Thank you very much.
Shirva
I'm glad I could help. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts