What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MOV Files?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to me that the MOV file format is very common in video cameras so it is a surprise to me that the iPad won't play them. I just assumed that it I could plug the SD card adaptor in, upload the files and play them, but apparently not.

john302

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not all mov videos are friendly to iPad, but only H.264 / MPEG-4 encoding video in mov format is compatible with iPad. So this guide will show how to make it. And the most important step is to convert MOV to the right MOV (mpeg-4), mov (h.264) for ipad.

mov2avi.net/mov-to-ipad.html

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you gotta make the right Movs
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you gotta make the right Movs
(sorry, couldn't resist...)

I am disappointed that any conversion is necessary at all. I would expect that any MOV files tat pay on Quicktime would play natively on iPad. I particularly object to having to do the conversion on another computer.

My expectation (quite justified I think) was that I would be able to take the card from the camera, plug it into the iPad and watch the video.

A conversion utility that runs on the iPad would be better but I assume that the lack of a codec prevents this. If it existed you wouldn't need a convertor in the first place.

iPadPil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The VLC app on iPad does it automatically (receiving email with mov attachments).

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The VLC app on iPad does it automatically (receiving email with mov attachments).

Thanks. That sounds like what I am looking for. I will give it a try.

Unless I am missing the point, VLC doesn't seem to be the answer because the files have to be uploaded from a Mac or PC.

What I want to do is take the SD card out of the camera, plug it into the iPod and play it. It seems like a reasonable expectation to me.

Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Most reactions

Latest posts