What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mounting hard drive

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've successfully JB my 3.2.2 IPAD. downloaded iSSH, iFile, openSSH and nano editor. I created /Volumes/EXT and got it liked successfully to Goodreader. I got into iSSH successfully SSH [email protected] my IPAD I.P. address.

If I insert a flash card I can see it, copy it and download images to a clean CF/SD card.

The problem when fiollowing Maxwell's instructions to the letter when I try and mount an external 500 gb msdos formatted drive it says it is busy. I tried this with a NFS drive as well and nothing. I've check other threads and in two different members mentioned being able to mount their hard drives successfully but have not responded to requests for instructions. Would someone lend a hand?

Thanks, Rich

bulletbilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a standard 200GB 2.5 inch laptop hard drive I put into a case and I use the USB cord with the mini USB and regular USB on the same end... I use the wall adapter that came with my iPad to power the HD... Works great thru iFile...

OP
R

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a standard 200GB 2.5 inch laptop hard drive I put into a case and I use the USB cord with the mini USB and regular USB on the same end... I use the wall adapter that came with my iPad to power the HD... Works great thru iFile...

Thanks for your response but telling me it works without any explanation of how you've done it or not asking me any questions about my steps is like stopping along the road and telling a stranded motorist your car works fine and then driving off.

I have two situations: flash cards and hard drive. I can't repeat the same function successfully. My unit is jail broken and I have iFile installed. When I either plug in an SD card into the SD adapter or a CF card through a reader into the IPAD nothing shows in the /var/mnt folder. I formatted the flash drives with a camera and it has the DMIN folder with images in it, but it doesn't show,

When you read Maxwell's blog he mentions getting your I.P. Address to enter in the iSSH app as "ssh [email protected]" (my IP address) but in another web site paraphrasing his blog the author says use 127.0.0.1 so I'm confused. In iSSH when you create a configuration which do you use? The actual IP address or 127.0.0.1?

Is there some particular order when connecting the external hard drive? I'm using an IPHone USB wall wart connected to the Y USB cable and connecting the power first and then the master plug into the Apple IPAD adapter. Once last night I actually got the hard drive connected but could not reproduce it. I must have read Maxwell's instructions ten times but I am at a loss.

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Rich Gibson

Last edited:
OP
R

Rich Gibson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Following an excellent suggestion at a site referring to 127.0.0.1 I was able to get the IPAD to recognize both an SD card using the Apple Camera Connector and a CF card using a reader and the USB connector.

SD Flash Card

- Put the SD card into the Adapter and the adapter into the IPAD st since when you plug it in it will run the Photo App and spoil the iSSH session.

- Earlier I created a configuration using 127.0.0.1 for the port.

- I clicked on the iSSH icon, and selected the 120.0.0.1 configuration I made earlier.

- I Entered the password for the configuration and hit return

- I typed ssh [email protected], to which it asked for a password for it.

- I then typed ls /dev and verified disk1s1 was in the file listing.

- I ran iFile and brought up the sidebar and the Flash Drive came up after about 5 seconds

- I touched it I found the flash card files under /Volumes/Ext (remember, this was part of Maxwell's original steps

Compact Flash Cards

- Same thing about plugging it in first so as not to kill the iSSH session (I rebooted the IPAD after the SD card because disk1s1 wouldn't mount "resourse busy")

- Everything is the same up to ls /dev

- For some reason you have to mount the CF in its card reader

- mount -t msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EXT

- run iFile, got to /Volumes/EXT and the files are there

External Hard Drive
Using an identical setup as in the instructions I cannot get the IPAD to recognize /dev/disk1s1. I (we all) could use some help.

Thanks

shorty106

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bulletbilly, you can download from ipad to your 200gb external hard drive via ifile?

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no need to create any directories or use a terminal at all. I just plugged my drive in and opened file and if you give it a second a tab that says "flash drive" comes up in the left pane and you simply tap it and that's it.

Most reactions

Latest posts