What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motorola droid and non 3G iPad question

elusiveaura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I went back to root access on my droid and downloaded barnacle. I got it working. I can't believe how simple it was to access the Internet on my iPad anywhere by using my droid. The question is.....will verizon not catch on and see different or abnormal bandwidth usage on my phone now?

I'm not going to go crazy but it seems like you could rack up some bandwidth usage fairly quickly. I heard even though it's unlimited data (which is plan I have) that there is still a 5gb cap. Any comments on this? Should I and the other barnacle users be worried? Lol. Thanks.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I went back to root access on my droid and downloaded barnacle. I got it working. I can't believe how simple it was to access the Internet on my iPad anywhere by using my droid. The question is.....will verizon not catch on and see different or abnormal bandwidth usage on my phone now?

I'm not going to go crazy but it seems like you could rack up some bandwidth usage fairly quickly. I heard even though it's unlimited data (which is plan I have) that there is still a 5gb cap. Any comments on this? Should I and the other barnacle users be worried? Lol. Thanks.

I think as long as you don't go crazy, they can't tell. You could be using a ton of new apps (pandora) on your Droid and they use data just the same.

Just don't go nuts, I would stick under 5gb/month if you can and I don't think it will be a problem at all.

srleadjb

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm doing the same thing and as you said it works awesome! And its actually better than the 3g model because you get Verizon's network, which were I'am trumps At&t. I would say if you don't go over 5gb's, it doesn't matter what your doing. Your one customer in how many millions? It would be their burden of proof that your tethering and as long as your not using too much of their bandwith, I really don't even see them caring (or noticing.) You probably know, but you can monitor your bandwith on your verizon account on-line. Also, if your using the Droid, I'd assume your using Gmail. I just sync'd my contacts and calendars with my Ipad. Now everything on my phone is sync'd with my Ipad and Google! Great combo....:D

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What did you use to root your droid? Did you have the 2.1 OTA update? I'm scared to do it:eek:

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the same thing except I'm around 6gb. I just moved so i have b een using it as a replacement until friday. I'm hoping under 10gb should be fine,, it's high because i stream a lot on the mlb at bat app and pandora. I don't see how verizon or any other carrier can put a cap on these smart phones now, especially with these streaming apps. And if they allow the palm pre plus tether for free, why can't the droid?

EE_Chris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What did you use to root your droid? Did you have the 2.1 OTA update? I'm scared to do it:eek:

If you installed the OTA 2.1 update, then what you first need to do is use a program called RSDLite (free to download) to flash the phone back to 2.0.1. After that, you install a specially made version of the OTA 2.1 update that includes root access. It's really uncomplicated, nor is there a need to worry about botching something up. RSDLite is actually the program that the Verizon store would use to re-flash your phone in the event that something happened to it.

Head over to droidforums.net in the 'Hacking Help' section for the tutorials.

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm doing the same thing and as you said it works awesome! And its actually better than the 3g model because you get Verizon's network, which were I'am trumps At&t. I would say if you don't go over 5gb's, it doesn't matter what your doing. Your one customer in how many millions? It would be their burden of proof that your tethering and as long as your not using too much of their bandwith, I really don't even see them caring (or noticing.) You probably know, but you can monitor your bandwith on your verizon account on-line. Also, if your using the Droid, I'd assume your using Gmail. I just sync'd my contacts and calendars with my Ipad. Now everything on my phone is sync'd with my Ipad and Google! Great combo....:D

Can you tell me how you synced your calendar with the ipad? I can't seem to figure that out.

OP
E

elusiveaura

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, ee Chris told you right. The forums over there are great. After you root your phone the easiest way to get it up and going is to use your phones browser and go to droidmod.org. You will then download the file and install. After you read up on everything and are rooted there is a free app on marketplace called barnacle. That's what you'll use tonget free tethering. :).

If you have any questions, I don't mind answering them.

geeek204

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Can you tell me how you synced your calendar with the ipad? I can't seem to figure that out.

It's pretty easy, check this out: CalDAV Calendar Sync : CalDAV - Google Mobile Help

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am now tethered using Barnacle and all I can say is, "I DID IT"!!!!!!! It took me a while but it was worth it. Being able to connect anywhere is pure bliss!

durangojim

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's pretty easy, check this out: CalDAV Calendar Sync : CalDAV - Google Mobile Help

Thanks! Worked perfectly!

Most reactions

Latest posts