What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most icon are gone, please help

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using an iPad 2 running 5.1.1 wifi only.

I was reading the hackers handbook on the big boss repository on cydia. I had just updated it to its latest version and attempted a cut and paste. The iPad locked up and I rebooted by holding the home and power keys down. Upon rebooting springboard crashed and after it reloaded all of my icons are gone except for the stock apple apps and cydia and everything I downloaded fron cydia. I file works and I looked and my apps are still there but their corresponding icons are no longer showing up.

How can this be fixed? Do I have to back it up with the computer? iCloud is not on.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

I just looked in notification center and no e of my downloaded apps from apple store are showing up either that makes sense comsidering the icons aren't showing.

Does this mean I should go to app store and redownload everything or restore from a previous backup. I only have 15 gigs left of 64 gigs. Will the old apps be overwritten in the process so I don't run out of space?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It appears as if you have activated Mobile Substrate Safe Mode. Try resetting (aka rebooting) your device and see if it returns to normal. To reset (apologies if you know):

Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

That should put your iPad back to normal. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Mickey for your help. *I did a reboot by holding both power and home buttons down until it turned off and the apple icon reappeared. When it started again nothing has changed.

When it had froze the before and I shut it down and then pressed the power button for a few seconds to start it again the first dialog that popped up was the typical one telling me that springboard had crashed and I think the options were restring cancel and I forget the other option. I had ran into this a lot when I was jailbroken on 4.3.3 and tracked it down to a tweak I had installed through cydia.

The only thing I did today just prior to this freezing and locking up was to upgrade the hackers handbook through cydia. I have since uninstalled that app and the problem has not gone away. I have since reinstalled that app using cydia.

I will do some more investigating to see if I can figure this out. It almost seems to me as if some plist file or other type of configuration file was corrupted in some way so that the apps that I have installed are not appearing even though the files associated with them are intact.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yesterday mine went into safe mode twice. The latest things I have tried are dreamboard, dreamboard sounds, and a couple of dreamboard themes. Safe mode happened the first time when I was loading up Mountain Lion OS for iPad. Maybe the second time was when I was loading up the HoneyPad light, trial mode.
This is an iPad 1 iOS 5.0.1 32 gb.
That was the first time I had experienced Safe Mode on the iPad. It was a bit of a shock at the time. I was able to reset it with no problem. Perhaps your problem has to do with a tweak, or a program that is still running in the background when it is rebooted.
I know you have rebooted. Have you tried a shut down and then restarting after a minute? When I restart my iPad without clearing out the running the background programs they get loaded back into the background. Maybe at this time they are not running only dormant.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Helli Fid, thank you for your reply.

I have gotten into the habit of killing all running apps often and have tried rebooting that way.

I uninstalled the last tweak that was installed prior to this happening but no luck.

I rarely fire up the desktop except for when I want to sync my iPad. Fortunately my most recent syncing was 4 days ago so I thi k that will be my next step.

D

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, after plugging it into my computer and starting itunes i restored a few apps to see what happens. itunes sees all of the apps that i can see using ifile as just "other" space that is being used and not properly as "apps". i was able to restore a few apps but when i run them all of my saved settings for each app are gone and worse than that, i have a text editing app and am no longer able to access all of the created documents associated with that app anymore.

i know that my next question may need to be answered in another forum but i will ask anyway.

i have a fairly recent backup saved through itunes and also can do a backup with pkgbackup to save all cydia related apps. is it now still possible given that apple has released ios 6.0 to do a restore of an ipad 2 wifi only using saved shs blobs tiny umbrella and ios 5.1.1 firmware and then re jailbreak using absynthe again?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
well, after plugging it into my computer and starting itunes i restored a few apps to see what happens. itunes sees all of the apps that i can see using ifile as just "other" space that is being used and not properly as "apps". i was able to restore a few apps but when i run them all of my saved settings for each app are gone and worse than that, i have a text editing app and am no longer able to access all of the created documents associated with that app anymore.

i know that my next question may need to be answered in another forum but i will ask anyway.

i have a fairly recent backup saved through itunes and also can do a backup with pkgbackup to save all cydia related apps. is it now still possible given that apple has released ios 6.0 to do a restore of an ipad 2 wifi only using saved shs blobs tiny umbrella and ios 5.1.1 firmware and then re jailbreak using absynthe again?

No, at this time, you cannot restore iOS 5.1.1 onto your iPad.

From what we hear, there are tools in the works that will allow you to RE-restore to iOS 5.1.1 (as long as you've never gone to iOS 6). However, those tools have not been released yet. So, that option is out, for now. If you do a restore, saved blobs or not - you will go to iOS 6. Sorry.

At this time, I don't know how to help. TBH - it sounds as if your jail break is "broken" beyond repair. So, it's either wait for those re-restore to ios 5.1.1 tools to be published or to restore to iOS 6 (and then wait for a jail break on that iOS ... or hope they find a way to use blobs to go back to iOS 5.1.1).

Marilyn

P.S. This just dawned on me - since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mariyln,

I thought that was the case with the re-restore right now.

My jailbreak still works I can access cydia and use that, it's a matter of all apple apps not showing up with the exception of the requisite apps that are part of ios 5.5.1. All cydia apps and tweaks work fine.

I will just have to be patient and wait for an app that will enable me to re-restore to ios 5.1.1

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok,
I decided to try an experiment.

I started ifile and did a cut and paste of the icab app from applications to a temp folder. I then went to iTunes and redownloaded the icab app. After the app downloaded I did a reboot and all of a sudden all of my icons re appeared but with question marks for icons instead of the proper icons for each. I then rebooted again and all of the icons re appeared and everything is working fine now.

I do wish I could find out what went wrong in the first place.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it is good news that you got things working. And, you may never know what happened - computers are just weird that way sometimes. :)

Thanks for letting us know things worked out. Always good to hear back, especially on the successes.

Marilyn

OP
J

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Mariyln

I just wish I could have learned a little something from the experience

Most reactions

Latest posts