What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cydia not launching - black screen flashes then back to app screen

jcpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPad 2 running 5.1.1 using absinthejailbreak 2.0.4. Everything seemed to go well and the Cydia icon shows up with the other installed apps. However when you click the icon the screen flashes black and then it goes back to the app screen. I erased and reconfigured as a new iPad and when I tried to jailbreak it again I got a message that the device was already jailbroken. Can someone explain this behavior? Is it possible to reinstall Cydia or do I need to restore with DFU mode and run absinthejailbreak again? I'd appreciate any pointers for this iPad noob :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I jailbroke my iPad 2 running 5.1.1 using absinthejailbreak 2.0.4. Everything seemed to go well and the Cydia icon shows up with the other installed apps. However when you click the icon the screen flashes black and then it goes back to the app screen. I erased and reconfigured as a new iPad and when I tried to jailbreak it again I got a message that the device was already jailbroken. Can someone explain this behavior? Is it possible to reinstall Cydia or do I need to restore with DFU mode and run absinthejailbreak again? I'd appreciate any pointers for this iPad noob :)

If you "erased and reconfigured as a new iPad" using the tabs in the Settings app - I'm afraid you'll probably have to restore the iPad to a stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak it.

As a side note, people with jailbroken iDevices should always stay clear of all the stuff in the Reset tab/category. It really messes up and usually causes a need for a restore.

Marilyn

OP
J

jcpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn. So I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. The way to restore to stock (pre jail break) 5.1.1 is to use DFU mode. Is that correct?

sammysalim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
u dont have to restore and do the jailbreak again...........
all u gotta do is.....
just enter the safe mode and then restart the device.
you can do that from the sb settings toggle that slides from above.......tab on power and then choose safe mode.....then exit from safe mode.
Done. ^_^

Most reactions

Latest posts