What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile Substrate I love you....

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just saved me from a springboard crash. I advise you all install it if you already haven't :)

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you have a crash or an issue with contant restarting (like I did) how to you access mobile substrate? Just for future reference.

OP
S

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if you have a crash or an issue with contant restarting (like I did) how to you access mobile substrate? Just for future reference.

If your iPad fails to boot because of an extension not working or you go to move an app into a folder and your iPad freezes for a bit you'll see the apple logo and a message will come up saying your in safe mode and all extensions and tweaks are disabled. I don't think you can actually trigger mobile substrate but you can safe mode by using SBsettings. Might need f4780y to verify this though. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't access Mobile Substrate. When it kicks in and puts the iPad into "Safe Mode,", it's because of an automatic feature built in. It either protects the iPad ... or it doesn't. You don't have control over it.

Essentially, it's saving you from the iPad's reaction to some tweak you've put on it. It's kind of like a "time out" for the iPad - while you sort out the situation. And, not all apps use Mobile Substrate, nor will the failure of just any ole app cause it to kick in.

If you do something that cause Mobile Substrate to put your iPad in Safe Mode, a restart will usually bring your iPad back to normal. If a restart doesn't fix it - Mobile Substrate will probably kick in again, which is your hint to start figuring out what tweak you added to the iPad caused it to start crashing.

Regardless, getting a reboot/respring into Safe Mode - which is caused my Mobile Substrate's auto feature - is cause for you to take a step back and try to figure out what you just did to the iPad to cause it to have a wee bit of a hissy fit. Just count the lucky stars Mobile Substrate protected you and gave you that chance to fix. Else - restore time!

I'm making it sound more complicated than it is, but the main thing you want to do, to be prepared, is have SBSettings installed so you can have a fighint chance to manually put the iPad into Safe Mode should Mobile Substrate not auto start.

There, now that that's clear as mud ... any questions? :D

Marilyn

P.S. Worse comes to worse, Google "mobilesubstrate." It's a very interesting feature ... one I'd take years to master any understanding of. I am always SO impressed with programmers ...!

OP
S

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't access Mobile Substrate. When it kicks in and puts the iPad into "Safe Mode,", it's because of an automatic feature built in. It either protects the iPad ... or it doesn't. You don't have control over it.

Essentially, it's saving you from the iPad's reaction to some tweak you've put on it. It's kind of like a "time out" for the iPad - while you sort out the situation. And, not all apps use Mobile Substrate, nor will the failure of just any ole app cause it to kick in.

If you do something that cause Mobile Substrate to put your iPad in Safe Mode, a restart will usually bring your iPad back to normal. If a restart doesn't fix it - Mobile Substrate will probably kick in again, which is your hint to start figuring out what tweak you added to the iPad caused it to start crashing.

Regardless, getting a reboot/respring into Safe Mode - which is caused my Mobile Substrate's auto feature - is cause for you to take a step back and try to figure out what you just did to the iPad to cause it to have a wee bit of a hissy fit. Just count the lucky stars Mobile Substrate protected you and gave you that chance to fix. Else - restore time!

I'm making it sound more complicated than it is, but the main thing you want to do, to be prepared, is have SBSettings installed so you can have a fighint chance to manually put the iPad into Safe Mode should Mobile Substrate not auto start.

There, now that that's clear as mud ... any questions? :D

Marilyn

P.S. Worse comes to worse, Google "mobilesubstrate." It's a very interesting feature ... one I'd take years to master any understanding of. I am always SO impressed with programmers ...!

I wasn't far off was I Marilyn :)
And also you could download crash reporter from cydia which tells you which extension or apps crashed, very useful

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobile substrate is "on" normally too. Certain tweaks require it.

Most famous, winterboard.
Winterboard enables the theme and makes the ipad use images in the theme instead of the default ones. And it enables them through mobile substrate.

Ever noticed how themes don't work on Cydia? Cydia doesn't use mobile substrate; it stays "clean" so a tweak might not interfere with a package install.

Most reactions

Latest posts