What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing pictures in PDF files downloaded to iPad

pghmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The daily edition of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is delivered via email to my iPad in PDF format. When opened on my iPad there are significant blank spots where pictures should appear. Not all the pictures are missing, but always the head shots of the editorial contributors are missing. The PDF file opens correctly on my Windows PC. Any ideas as to why?

OP
pghmike

pghmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stand corrected, today's PDF file would not open on my PC. Error message at opening on my PC -- "Insufficient data for image". So I am experiencing difficulty on under both machines, Windows and iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, if those pictures are high resolution, they'll almost certainly be insufficient memory on the iPad too.

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just wondering if the newspaper's PDF files before this occurrence opened correctly on both of your devices?

If so, I suspect the PDF file might be the problem - the error message was not a memory one but of 'insufficient data for image' - might want to check w/ the newspaper to see if others are having the same issues.

Good luck - :) P.S. I'm an oldster and still get the paper edition of our local newspaper (as long as that may last - ;))

OP
pghmike

pghmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I was moved to attempt a more vigorous review of the issue and find that the problem resides on the newspaper's side. So as far as I am concerned, the issue is resolved. Access to the PDF file is via a link in a daily email. Today's PDF file is 28MB and takes forever to open in my PC's browser (both Chrome and IE8) with a sometime result, e.g. does not always open completely. My Windows XP/SP3 desktop is very capable so it does not appear to be the problem. In retrospect my iPad provides impressive performance because I can download a readable version of the PDF file, although without some pictures, in a reasonably quick space of time. I like the PDF because I can access the paper while traveling. I seem to be surrounded by iPads and iPhones in my family (everyone has at least one and half have both) and they all love them. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and help.

Most reactions