What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing GB on 2017 iPad Pro after restoring from 2015 iPad Pro backup

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I'm looking for ideas on how to track down where the missing GB are.

I have a 128 GB 2015 iPad Pro that backs up to the cloud.

I recently bought a 512 GB 2017 iPad Pro. When I got it, I simply did a restore of the most recent backup I had for my 128 GB 2015 iPad Pro.

It all appears to have worked fine...except...I cannot account for all the space that the 128 GB iPad claimed was being used on the 512 GB iPad.

Where did the space go? I don't want to get rid of the old iPad and its backups until i can be sure all of my stuff got transferred.

I am a big user of Goodreader for a lot of the stuff I do on this iPad and all of that is transferred over. I have a few presentations done in Keynote that they are moved too.

The new iPad is showing a capacity of 508 GB and an available of 442 GB for a difference of 66GB (I'm rounding here).

The old iPad is showing a capacity of 124 GB and an available for 18 GB for a difference of 106 GB.

So, there appears to be whopping 40 GB of missing stuff.

I've been using the new iPad for over a week, but not seriously yet. The old iPad shows 281 applications while the new one shows 278 apps. I can't figure out which are missing.

All of the 989 photos are reported as being transferred and I checked them so I believe they are there.

I checked by iBooks and I don't see any problems there. The major books have been redownloaded.

I checked my Kindle books and I don't see a problem. I can redownload anything there (and have done so).

Some songs that I had downloaded on the old iPad (I use Apple Music) did not download to the new iPad. But I don't care about that since I don't really own the downloaded music as a subscriber.

Oh....I just checked the TV app and looked in the library for downloaded stuff. I'm missing 4 movie icons on the new one that are present on the old one. That might be it right there, but only two of these videos are reported as actually being downloaded on the the old iPad. If I believe this, then they are not taking up space, right? Only two movies appear on the new iPad and both are reported as being downloaded (these two are the same ones reported as being downloaded on the old iPad). Since movies are large files, on the order of 5-6 GB each, this seems like a good candidate for accounting for the missing space. This is a bit nerve wracking as I can't be sure of anything. I can't see the file sizes on either device, either.

Anyway, I came here looking for ideas on how to convince myself that all of my important material got transferred in the back up. So, if anyone here has any ideas on how to gain confidence in the restore I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, col. Both iPad are running 10.3.2.

I can't figure a way to determine which apps are on which iPad, since I have so many.

Jonathan tuba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would suggest you go into Settings - General - Storage & iCloud Usage on both iPad and compare the storage use on each iPad for each application. You will find the discrepancy there. Some things such as downloaded BBC iplayer programmes will not come across and Music will not automatically be downloaded but will stay on iCloud. Also my experience is it can take some days depending on you wifi internet speed for everything to be downloaded from iCloud backup.

Hope that helps!

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Jonathan. I will continue to work on it as I have little choice. I have noticed too that a complete restore can take a while. I can foresee a nightmare once I have 512 GB nearly full. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts