What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirror iPad on any HDMI tv

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Digital AV Adapter and would like to take a moment to post a mini review.

The Digital AV Adapter can be found in the Apple online store:

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MD098ZM/A

This adapter is cheaper than the Apple TV and can place anything that is on your iPhone, iPod or iPad onto any HDMI television. There are 30 pin and Lightning versions of this adapter.

I currently use it to watch Netflix and surf the web via Safari. Granted, the Apple TV can do this too via AirPlay mirroring so there is no need for this adapter if you already have the Apple TV. However, you'll save money with the adapter (Apple TV is $99.00) and it charges your idevices while it's being used. This adapter is also easier to move from room to room than the Apple TV.

It's nice to be able to slip the adapter into my pocket, go to a friend's house and be able to view my movies, reminders, calendar, etc. on a 40" HDMI TV.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now if only the iPad could have bluetooth mouse support natively. And the iPad Mini in that picture seriously looks more like an iPod Touch. I've been asking whether the iPad can mirror its screen to a TV for ages, thanks for the info.

Sent from K48AP, the classic

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:
Now if only the iPad could have bluetooth mouse support natively. And the iPad Mini in that picture seriously looks more like an iPod Touch. I've been asking whether the iPad can mirror its screen to a TV for ages, thanks for the info.

Sent from K48AP, the classic

The device in that picture is an iPod Touch 4th gen (my newest addiction), but the Apple rep told me the adapter works on iPhones, iPods and iPads.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Belkin HDMI cord that I use, it's maybe 8 foot long or so, nod I love it. It mirrors whatever is on my iPad3. When I first plug it in, it says accessory not supported but I click ok and it works perfectly. I rent movies a lot and hook my iPad up to our TV nod watch them. When I first purchased the cord and played with it I mad my family watch as I pretended to be Bob Ross and painted pics of happy trees for them. Not sure they were to impressed but I sure had fun.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
There is one thing I think is just a bit clunky - you have to either get a terribly long HDMI cable or buy an expensive wireless HDMI adapter OR get up and mess with the iPad/iPod. With NO wires connected to the iPad you could just use the Apple TV, and it will cost less than wireless HDMI adapter and take up next to no space. Besides, you can also mirror OSX Mtn Lion as well, if you have it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is one thing I think is just a bit clunky - you have to either get a terribly long HDMI cable or buy an expensive wireless HDMI adapter OR get up and mess with the iPad/iPod. With NO wires connected to the iPad you could just use the Apple TV, and it will cost less than wireless HDMI adapter and take up next to no space. Besides, you can also mirror OSX Mtn Lion as well, if you have it.

15 ft HDMI cable is less than $10 on Amazon. And you need one any way with Apple TV. I sometimes have problems mirroring to my Apple TV because my living room is on the other end of the house from the router, so if I don't hold the iPad right, the Apple TV (connected by wire on my network) won't get the signal. Going straight cable from iPad to TV would solve that problem, though it is not really a problem because I rarely need to do it at home. I like this cable/HDMI solution when using someone elses TV with my iPad, though.

OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Somerled said:

Interesting. I was unaware that one could mirror OS X Mountain Lion too. Now I know I want a MacBook :)

nmoreman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using this for my iPad, decided to try Apple TV and really do like the remote better, do not use anything on iTunes, etc
But this beats getting up to change channels! Held off for a long time due to dollar difference but it does do the same

Another option I figured out, I was going to return my atv 3 and get a 2 to jaulbreak, but prices are just ridiculous. Then I decided
To see if I can load all those programs, xmbc, nav x, that are used to jb atv2. You can and now I can watch these all thru my jb iPad 3

Took my Santa request for a 4 off the list!

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
Another cheap wireless way is to get your hands on a Raspberry Pi and download an OpenElec or RaspBMC image for it. It has Airplay support. Works better than my hdmi adapter in the sense that the video at least fills the screen as opposed to most apps that only output some postage stamp sized video to the middle of the screen (in my experience there's less full screen hdmi out support in apps since I upgraded to IOS6)

BMWer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...is it possible to mirror Slingbox from the iPad to a HDMI TV with the adapter?? I have held off getting the Slingbox app until I am sure this can be done. It would be great to be able to watch my home (Canadian) TV programming...via my iPad to my HDMI TV when I am in Arizona.

Most reactions