What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Office Finally Comes to iPad as a Free Download

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Office_for_iPad.PNG

We’ve been writing about the possibility of Microsoft coming to iPad for years it seems, but now the day has finally arrived, with ZDNet reporting that Microsoft’s new CEO Satya Nadella has taken the opportunity of his first press event as CEO to announce the arrival of Office for iPad.

During an event in San Francisco today, which was primarily devoted to the intersection of cloud and mobile, Nadella announced that Office for iPad, encapsulating Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, will be available to download from the App Store for free.

According to ZDNet, Microsoft has rebuilt Office for iPad from scratch, which is probably why it took so long! Although the basic suite is free to download, and will remain free for basic tasks, if you want something more advanced, you’ll have to subscribe to Office 365.

ZDNet has wasted no time in getting to grips with the new Office for iPad app, as in a follow-up feature to the launch announcement, it hails Office for iPad as “the gold standard for tablet productivity.â€

Source: Microsoft launches Office for iPad | ZDNet
Microsoft Office for iPad sets the gold standard for tablet productivity | ZDNet

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that's a smart way to do it for Microsoft, since it's been long in the wait for them to arrive. My curiosity is getting the best of me so I'll go and try it out. :)

Edit...well re-reading this story and reading the app, it is free for "read" only docs. I can do that already on many of the apps I already have. However, looks very promising for hard-core Microsoft users waiting for this Office app to arrive.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Be interesting how it takes off. I can see any one whom owns several devices will be happy to pay the $100 approx per year however some one whom owns only one iPad may find this a bit steep and op to use pages or alternative apps which are free. Business users will benefit with having office products available

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that's a smart way to do it for Microsoft, since it's been long in the wait for them to arrive. My curiosity is getting the best of me so I'll go and try it out. :) Edit...well re-reading this story and reading the app, it is free for "read" only docs. I can do that already on many of the apps I already have. However, looks very promising for hard-core Microsoft users waiting for this Office app to arrive.

Ehhh, read only is fine for me. I don't need a subscription to 360.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I was wrong. Now I see how microsoft will win over iWork.....

Some people will no doubt use it and it be hyped up at first but overall I still feel they are very late with this. For a tablet, the other options are good enough for most users. The free versions will likely be fairly crippled. They aren't going to give it away for free.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some people will no doubt use it and it be hyped up at first but overall I still feel they are very late with this. For a tablet, the other options are good enough for most users. The free versions will likely be fairly crippled. They aren't going to give it away for free.

MS has been late to the game before....this is no different. From reports, though, this is a very good first attempt. If it is indeed good, I think it may win over a lot of people. Even myself, am thinking that I can use this to play my Powerpoint files on my iPad, as I give many talks on the iPad. Being able to have annotations that work is a big deal for me. And the fact is, I use Office everyday. Until now, I just didn't bother with using actually Office files on the iPad. I'd convert the PDFs and use GoodReader to view the files. But if this is really good, I might get an Air and a keyboard and actually use Office on my iPad! That is *if* it works. If it is no better than the other options, then I won't bother and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. But if I can create equations and drawing on a PC, edit that on an iPad, and move back to the PC, then I'm sold. Laptops will have gone down another rung (there are still some programs an I need that require a PC/MAC - like Matlab, the Adobe suite, and stuff like NEC, etc.).

Having said all of that, it is still frustrating to watch how MS behaves. They need to fire everyone in charge there and bring in totally fresh talent. They only reason they seem to exist these days is because of their past glory. Frankly, I still blame them for the death of software innovation on PCs (I include MACs in this too, as to me, a MAC is a PC -- I get tired of having to make a distinction). IMO, they created the perfect landscape for mobile devices today. Their near total dominance on the PC/MAC software world just killed everything, so people had to go mobile while the lumbering, sleeping giant known as Microsoft figured out what was going on. They did the exact same thing when the Internet came. They are like the dragon Smaug.

faturner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at it today and one thing jumped out at me in the comparison chart between the iPad version and the desktop: PRINTING IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THE IPAD! How is this going to beat iWork?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was looking at it today and one thing jumped out at me in the comparison chart between the iPad version and the desktop: PRINTING IS NOT SUPPORTED ON THE IPAD! How is this going to beat iWork?

It is supported actually. Wirelessly.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AirPrint is not an option on the read only version
Quote release info. Yes it will come sometime in the future........o well another day in the world of Microsoft

The first iteration of Microsoft’s Office for iPad lacks the ability to print, an unfortunate omission that Microsoft representatives intimated will be fixed in a forthcoming release.

“Microsoft will absolutely continue to update the app on a regular basis,” a company representative told us.

That’s not to say Microsoft’s iPad suite is intrinsically unable to print, or that it has trouble connecting to Apple’s own AirPrint service. Rather, the suite’s three apps (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) simply don’t have a print function yet. A support document within the apps confirms this.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MS has been late to the game before....this is no different. From reports, though, this is a very good first attempt. If it is indeed good, I think it may win over a lot of people. Even myself, am thinking that I can use this to play my Powerpoint files on my iPad, as I give many talks on the iPad. Being able to have annotations that work is a big deal for me. And the fact is, I use Office everyday. Until now, I just didn't bother with using actually Office files on the iPad. I'd convert the PDFs and use GoodReader to view the files. But if this is really good, I might get an Air and a keyboard and actually use Office on my iPad! That is *if* it works. If it is no better than the other options, then I won't bother and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. But if I can create equations and drawing on a PC, edit that on an iPad, and move back to the PC, then I'm sold. Laptops will have gone down another rung (there are still some programs an I need that require a PC/MAC - like Matlab, the Adobe suite, and stuff like NEC, etc.). Having said all of that, it is still frustrating to watch how MS behaves. They need to fire everyone in charge there and bring in totally fresh talent. They only reason they seem to exist these days is because of their past glory. Frankly, I still blame them for the death of software innovation on PCs (I include MACs in this too, as to me, a MAC is a PC -- I get tired of having to make a distinction). IMO, they created the perfect landscape for mobile devices today. Their near total dominance on the PC/MAC software world just killed everything, so people had to go mobile while the lumbering, sleeping giant known as Microsoft figured out what was going on. They did the exact same thing when the Internet came. They are like the dragon Smaug.

Well put, AC. It does seem that people are warming up to it and even buying subscriptions too. I am probably good with the apple office apps but who knows what the future holds? For anyone needing the power and compatibility of MS office, this is a good set of apps for them.

And yes, Microsoft is getting by on past glory. They are so NOT as important now and seem like just another tech or software company in the crowded field instead of a leader like they always were. Who knows though? Maybe this office app is the kind of thing they need to get back on track. I'm fine with it since ultimately competition is a GOOD thing for me. So, go Microsoft, go! :)

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rendering is spot on. All the other 3rd party apps have always got the rendering messed up so i always had to convert tp pdf for display on my iPad. But all the MS Office apps are rendering perfectly. I havent set up my O365 subs yet so only tested read-only mode so far. The only flaw I've detected so far is that Powerpoint for iPad cant handle any of my pptx files. Fine with ppt.

Most reactions

Latest posts