What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messenger bags for ipad2

tibob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
timbuk2 ftw!

Attachments

• image-4046960833.png
    image-4046960833.png
    459.3 KB · Views: 433

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a customized Timbuk2 messenger from their Hayes Valley shop in San Francisco last year (I customized it for colours and material, and they sewed it up in two business days), which cost slightly more than their regular imported production-line models. On Amazon, some of them have been going at pretty good prices, if you're not too fussy about colours -- [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004IDFMD0/classicfromthesi[/ame]

The other bag which I use as my EDC (every day carry) is the Saddleback Leather Comapny's thin briefcase. Despite the name, it is more than ample enough to contain everything I need on a daily basis. It is pricey, but it comes with a 100-year guarantee, and you'll probably never have to get another leather bag ever again -- [ame]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002YFTAB4/classicfromthesi[/ame]

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread!

Timbuk2 gave me a store credit for my busted up old bag. With it, I purchased their small laptop messenger. It is perfect to hold the amount of folders, work swag, my iPad, and has just enough space left over for anything else.

Highly, highly recommended.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread!

Timbuk2 gave me a store credit for my busted up old bag. With it, I purchased their small laptop messenger. It is perfect to hold the amount of folders, work swag, my iPad, and has just enough space left over for anything else.

Highly, highly recommended.

I agree. I've recommended this bag before. One feature I especially appreciate is that the interior of the bag is WHITE. Makes it far easier to find items in the bottom of the bag.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
I agree. I've recommended this bag before. One feature I especially appreciate is that the interior of the bag is WHITE. Makes it far easier to find items in the bottom of the bag.

Of course, you can always choose your own color for the lining. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:

Didn't realize that. I bought mine on sale for less than $30, available only in black with a white interior. I would have preferred another color combo but the functionality and durability of the bag has been outstanding.

P.S. Just checked the Timbuk2 website and looked up what I thought was the bag I have. I'd thought it was the Freestyle Messenger Bag (XS). However, the website says an iPad won't fit. So either the website is incorrect or I have a model that has been discontinued. Frankly, I think it's the former. The XS size should hold the iPad without a problem.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Timbuk2 have had different designs (more like ongoing design changes and tweaks) over the years to some of its flagship products, so a 2011 Freestyle bag would almost certainly be different from a Freestyle from even a few years ago.

Very interesting encounter on the bus the other day: given how rare Timbuk2 is in Australia (no local distributors or vendors), there were three of us each rocking a Timbuk2 travelling on the same bus. What are the odds of that?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:

Only if you customize, but a customized bag costs a premium over their production-line models.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reviewed the super-sleek neoprene backpack from Built NY last year (cf. Built NY Laptop Backpack), but I'd give them a mention here that they also offer a number of neoprene messenger bags.

The one which first caught my attention is the Bowery 11- to 13-inch Laptop Messenger, which is currently at 30% off at Amazon -- Built NY Bowery 11- to 13-inch Laptop Messenger.

51dZVf-%2BjPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51VbDeLwV2L._AA300_.jpg

They also have a similar model in a larger 16-inch size, for those who want to accomodate more than just a tablet (and this is the one I ordered) -- Built NY 16-inch Laptop Messenger. This item is currently 66% off at Amazon, which actually makes it cheaper than the smaller model above.

31aSKIVdHuL._AA300_.jpg

And for the sake of completeness, Built NY also have a purpose-branded iPad messenger bag, although this one is currently still at full price -- Built NY 16-inch Laptop Messenger.

614dGaPjWLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Having used their backpack for some time now, neoprene is a very tough, stain-resistant material -- the same thing they make wetsuits out of to protect divers from corals and rocks. It is also water-resistant (but not waterproof), and acts as its own natural insulating, protecting material. It's also easy to clean: just hand-soak and drip dry. If you like this sort of tight, stretchy, sexy neoprene look, Built NY has a few products worth looking at.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, have a timbuk2 messenger bag - it's called the racing stripe messenger bag and I have it in small. Almost bought x-small (website said iPad would fit) but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to fit much else in the bag. Glad I purchased the small, it's big enough without being overly large. I use it as a purse but I need space for the iPad so I'm not stuck having to carry it around when go to the store or something. The only downside I've found to the bag is the lack of storage pockets inside. So I went to Bed, Bath, & Beyond and bought an As Seen on TV product called the Kangaroo Keeper. It was cheap and holds all my girly stuff so that its not all thrown in there and falling all over the place. I also have the 2way accessory case which attaches to the strap and holds my iPhone nicely. Love this bag and I recommend it to everyone!

Sent from my iPad using iPF - 64gig iPad2 White WiFi

breezur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to have to join the timbuk2 fans I love my messenger bag from them! It's perfect for commuting to and from school. I bought the one they recommended for iPad (not the one with the built in sleeve I purchased a sleeve separately). It's small but mighty. I can get everything I need for school in it (including lunch and a water bottle) and its still comfortable to carry.

Glenn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'm a Waterfield addict but I needed a new rollerboard for traveling and timbuk2 seems to have a good one. I got it, and it is a killer carry on bag. It is a clamshell design but since we are not reviewing luggage here, I won't continue. A few here had said they like the Commute messenger 2.0 so I ordered that to match. Nice "ensemble" - as the girls say:
c898a173.jpg

There is one very cool aspect to the luggage - they use professional ball bearing skateboard wheels that can be changed so it rolls across anything and fast if you need to. The bag is balanced for terminal to terminal sprints.

OK, the messenger bag. I really like it, it is not the heavy ballistic like waterfield and I'd give the nod to WF for overall quality. Straps a bit wider, things just a bit sturdier, but this is lighter on your shoulder.
062352b4.jpg

The bag opens up nice and wide for my projector, MBA, iPad, speakers. One thing on sizing their medium size is waterfield's large so their large is...large. This is the medium bag.
43c53e7c.jpg

They do a better job with more pockets and zippered closures with one caveat - the outside back is slit top and bottom so you can slide it on to the handle of the cockpit roller , waterfield does the same thing except they zip it at the bottom so it can be a pouch. No zip on the T2, things fall straight thru. I'll fix that with velcro and super glue.

737e9373.jpg

And the TSA back works as advertised - the back splits a like a book so you can go thru TSA without taking out your computer.
2cebca3c.jpg

All in all this is a great combo for about $400 and if you are a road person, this will allow you to be on the road for 10 days and never check a bag.

I only have one beef w/ Timbuk2. I really wanted to discuss if I should get the roller in small or medium and wanted an opin on what really fit in the overhead bin. 3 emails to the proper address (as I got a auto respond) and never an answer whatsoever. Email needs improvement, but nice stuff.

This is the co-pilot roller and commute messenger 2.0
Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<snip>

I only have one beef w/ Timbuk2. I really wanted to discuss if I should get the roller in small or medium and wanted an opin on what really fit in the overhead bin. 3 emails to the proper address (as I got a auto respond) and never an answer whatsoever. Email needs improvement, but nice stuff.

This is the co-pilot roller and commute messenger 2.0
Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

Awesome reviews. When I'm in the market for new luggage, I'll have to check all that out.

My small messenger bag holds my iPad, a bunch of folders for work, and some obligatory work swag I give out during interviews. It works great.

I've never had a problem with Timbuk2's customer service. It bugs me that you did. I would have just called them. I did that when I had some questions that weren't immediately answered on their site. They were amazingly helpful over the phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts