What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maintaining Existing Imported Photos while Syncing

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all,

Read most of the help info but I must be doing something wrong while syncing to the PC.

Imported a bunch of photos from the PC to the I-Pad and when I did a normal backup sync in I-Tunes they all went away except the "camera roll" pictures.

I know you can't "back-up" anything but camera roll photos but what do I need to have "checked off" or not "checked off" in I-Tunes that will just "keep" my imported photos on the I-Pad 2 when I do a normal backup sync?

Thanks!! Ken

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad requires you to use one parent folder (album) when synching from computer. You can create subfolders (sub-albums), but they must all nest under the parent folder. And every photo that you want to keep from synching must stay in one of those folders; if you remove them on computer, synching will remove them from your synched folders.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ken - also, you may want to check the OP on this recently quoted Link HERE - good luck and please post back if still having a problem; in addition, searching will bring up a lot of information on this topic (but you may have already given that a try?).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ken - also, you may want to check the OP on this recently quoted Link HERE - good luck and please post back if still having a problem; in addition, searching will bring up a lot of information on this topic (but you may have already given that a try?).

Maybe I'm not following what that link says, but iPad does distinguish between sub-albums from my uses. Under my parent folder, I have created about 10 albums, and they all remain separate when I synch them to my iPad.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The rule in iTunes is, if there's a check beside a song, it will put it on the iDevice, or stay on the iDevice if it's already there, if you un-check the box, it will not be put on the iDevice, or if it already on the iDevice it will be deleted from the iDevice. And yes, it syncs from iTunes to the iDevice always. You can delete anything you want on the iDevice and the next time you sync, it will be replaced on the iDevice.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not following what that link says, but iPad does distinguish between sub-albums from my uses. Under my parent folder, I have created about 10 albums, and they all remain separate when I synch them to my iPad.

Hi KKK - I guess that the question is whether the sub-folders need to be 'checked' in addition to the parent folder - I have mine checked and works as you described; maybe I should uncheck a few to see what happens.

Also for those reading that linked post, it dates from June 2010 - not sure w/ the new iOS5, if this aspect of syncing to iTunes may have changed? Looking forward to some further discussion - as mentioned in another post this also applies to one's music on these devices, i.e. what is checked or unchecked can bring surprising (and sometimes shocking!) results - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The rule in iTunes is, if there's a check beside a song, it will put it on the iDevice, or stay on the iDevice if it's already there, if you un-check the box, it will not be put on the iDevice, or if it already on the iDevice it will be deleted from the iDevice. And yes, it syncs from iTunes to the iDevice always. You can delete anything you want on the iDevice and the next time you sync, it will be replaced on the iDevice.

You can turn that behavior on and off on the summary page (Sync only checked songs and videos).

This has no affect on other types of syncing; books, pictures, apps.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Wow...lots of replies but I'm just trying to leave all the photo on the I pad alone when I back up the apps. Don't want them messed with at all......Ken

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow...lots of replies but I'm just trying to leave all the photo on the I pad alone when I back up the apps. Don't want them messed with at all......Ken

Hi Ken - well as long as your pic folders are left 'checked' on your computer, then the sync should maintain the images on your iPad (or add additional ones that your have included in your checked folders) - let us know if this is working for you - Dave :)

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Dave....I don't know about "folders" to check...I just imported a bunch of photos from a CD on the PC to the IP2..there's no folders to check or uncheck anywhere. Don't know what they are all talking about! Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That would be why they are disappearing then. iTunes wants to sync a folder. When you insert the CD and select it, that's fine; but the next time you sync iTunes is going to look for the CD. When it does not fine it, it is going to assume you deleted the folder and remove the pictures.

If you want the pictures to stay you are going to have to choose a different method of copying them to the iPad (not using iTunes), or copy them to a folder on the computer and then select that (not the CD) when setting up syncing in iTunes.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info Mikel......probably the problem! Ken

Most reactions