What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail still automatically downloading when set to manual

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm new to iPads (4G/wifi G4GB) so am probably making a complete fool of myself here, but in for a penny in for a pound ...

I don't want my email to download to my iPad until I specifically tell it to manually, yet it appears to be doing so automatically each time I open the Mail app.

I have several email accounts, some gmail, some with myISP and a mixture of POP and IMAP (don't ask, that's the way it works best for me!).

My settings are:

Mail, Contacts, Calendars:

Accounts:
iCloud - all off except Reminders and Find My iPad
Mail - 13 accounts, mixed as above, all On

Fetch New data - Off

Show: 50 Recent Messages
Preview: 2 lines
Minimum Font Size: Medium
Show To/cc label - On
Ask Before Deleting: Off
Load remote Images: On
Organise By Thread: On

Always bcc myself: On
Increase Quote Level: On
Signature: Sent from my iPad
My Info: None

Calendars:
New Invitation Alerts: On
Time Zone Support: London
Sync: All Events
Default Alert Times: None
Default Calendar: Calendar

Sync: Reminders 1 Month Back

I appreciate that most of the above is probably superfluous to my question and, equally, that I've probably missed off the one key piece of information, but can anyone help me stop Mail doing anything until I deliberately tell it to?

Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The action of you opening the Mail app is you telling it to go and get any mail that's out there. I don't think there is any way to stop this behavior - its designed that way by Apple.

Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rats!

I would have hoped to be able to browse emails already downloaded without fetching more recent ones every time, but into every life a little rain must fall, I guess!

Many thanks, Marilyn.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really want to do this, you could turn off your wifi or 3G connection. Your mail app can't pick up any new mail without a connection.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, good idea. A nuisance, but it would work!

aidanC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
go to settings ,mail,contacts, calendars, click email account eg gmail, and turn off email.
Email disappears, turn back on and it reloads works on Gmail account,

Most reactions