What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My name is Josh and Calendar syncing on my iPad has gone wrong

jcbdick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work in IT as a consultant. I started on Apple's as a kid in school, then Microsoft for the last 20 years and now I am attempting an iPad. I have had it for less than a week and have my biggest issue with my calendar while the rest has been pretty easy.

I synced my iPad with my Exchange, Google and Yahoo calendars and e-mail. Now i have duplication of birthdays for people from my contacts. Sometimes as many as 24 copies. How can I clean this up?

I have completely deleted the Gmail and Yahoo accounts from the iPad and turned off the sync of the exchange account, and the birthdays still show. It is like the device has saved a copy of the birthdays locally and then made them grow exponentially. They are listed between 20-44 times and that is with all syncing turned off. It is the only thing showing up in my calendar and it is a gray color where none of my color coding was gray.

When I tap Calendars button in the Calendar app, the only things are "On My iPad" and "Birthdays" and I need to have both checked to see the long list of birthdays.

I am also unable to delete the birthdays. It allows me to tap a delete button, but does not do anything.

This is happening on my wifes iPad 1 and my iPad 3. Mine is described above. The only account synced with hers is the gmail account and only the calendar part. On hers I am unable to tap delete or edits the entries, but on mine the delete button is there and doesn't do anything so it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have unselected the "Contacts' birthdays and events" in my Google calendar and that has not helped.

Finally, I have checked the stored contacts and no birthdays shows for the people that are listed. Listed are my Exchange account people and they do not have birthdays in my contact folders. Most of the people that are showing in my calendar are not even listed in my contacts as they were in my gmail and yahoo contact lists. I never imported any contact lists from gmail or yahoo. All I wanted was the calendars and the emails.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The usual reason for multiple entries like this in the calendar, is because you setup syncing via two (or more) methods at the same time, which causes a 'feedback loop' whereby each method keeps seeing a change so updates. Its hard to say if this is what exactly happened to you, but usually turning syncing off stops the new entries being created and allows you to sort the mess. However you seem to not be able to edit the entries.

You don't have syncing calendars turned on in itunes on your Pc do you. Thats a common cause of the syncing via two methods, people setup exchange but also then tick syncing in itunes.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I work in IT as a consultant. I started on Apple's as a kid in school, then Microsoft for the last 20 years and now I am attempting an iPad. I have had it for less than a week and have my biggest issue with my calendar while the rest has been pretty easy.

I synced my iPad with my Exchange, Google and Yahoo calendars and e-mail. Now i have duplication of birthdays for people from my contacts. Sometimes as many as 24 copies. How can I clean this up?

I have completely deleted the Gmail and Yahoo accounts from the iPad and turned off the sync of the exchange account, and the birthdays still show. It is like the device has saved a copy of the birthdays locally and then made them grow exponentially. They are listed between 20-44 times and that is with all syncing turned off. It is the only thing showing up in my calendar and it is a gray color where none of my color coding was gray.

When I tap Calendars button in the Calendar app, the only things are "On My iPad" and "Birthdays" and I need to have both checked to see the long list of birthdays.

I am also unable to delete the birthdays. It allows me to tap a delete button, but does not do anything.

This is happening on my wifes iPad 1 and my iPad 3. Mine is described above. The only account synced with hers is the gmail account and only the calendar part. On hers I am unable to tap delete or edits the entries, but on mine the delete button is there and doesn't do anything so it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have unselected the "Contacts' birthdays and events" in my Google calendar and that has not helped.

Finally, I have checked the stored contacts and no birthdays shows for the people that are listed. Listed are my Exchange account people and they do not have birthdays in my contact folders. Most of the people that are showing in my calendar are not even listed in my contacts as they were in my gmail and yahoo contact lists. I never imported any contact lists from gmail or yahoo. All I wanted was the calendars and the emails.

I am no great expert on this at all, but my understanding is that you need to first delete the items at the eg Google calendar end and then resync the "empty", "nothing" details back to your iPad to see a deletion at the iPad end.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
jcbdick

jcbdick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you DefBref and The OB. My syncing issue seems to be resolved. I had unsynced all calendars, birthdays were still appearing, and then I resynced them after turning off the birthday calendars in Google and yahoo. It is so much better now. Thanks.

OP
jcbdick

jcbdick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
smalltowngirl13 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum Josh!

Thanks. I am enjoying it so far. The company I work with is converting software over to iOS so I am looking forward to using this forum to help me in the transition and helping many others.

I am also looking forward to helping others resolve their questions with iOS

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi JCBdick--I am going to move this to the Help section so you have better attention.

By the way...

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Accessories |iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0, 5.1 & 6.0:*
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you DefBref and The OB. My syncing issue seems to be resolved. I had unsynced all calendars, birthdays were still appearing, and then I resynced them after turning off the birthday calendars in Google and yahoo. It is so much better now. Thanks.

No Worries! Glad the problem was resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts