What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Icon iPad 4

Sandra48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The default mail icon is rubbish but cannot be removed. My wife wants me to change its destination (target url) to her regular acccount that she uses on her PC. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

At the moment I have placed a separate icon on her home screen but she doesn't like it duplicated...!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot change the target of an icon on IOS.

The best you can do is move the default mail icon away off of the dock (hold the icon until it wiggles, then drag it onto the main springboard. Hold the icon on the edge of the screen to move it onto another page).

For apps / icons I do not ever use, I create an "Unused" folder, and drag anything I'm not interested in to that folder.

Then, you can drag the bookmark icon you created via Safari onto the dock where the old Mail icon used to be.

That's about the best you can manage with stock IOS I'm afraid ;)

OP
S

Sandra48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, for the info. I had done as you suggest but was hoping it could be got rid of. I suppose out of sight, out of mind, is as good as one can get.

It's a shame Apple insist on one using such an inferior email client.

Best wishes....

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just curious as to why you think the mail app is rubbish? Ever since I started using it, I detest going to my mail provider's website. The app is much more streamlined and efficient, IMO.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, for the info. I had done as you suggest but was hoping it could be got rid of. I suppose out of sight, out of mind, is as good as one can get.

It's a shame Apple insist on one using such an inferior email client.

Best wishes....

I don't find the email client inferior at all ...........works fine for me without all the bloat.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used both the mail app and the web to access my yahoo mail and I find the app is much quicker and easier to use for my purposes.

OP
S

Sandra48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I need to be able to store and recover drafts. I also like to check back on 'Sent' emails. I can't see any way to achieve this.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I need to be able to store and recover drafts. I also like to check back on 'Sent' emails. I can't see any way to achieve this.

I have six email accounts tied to the native mail app, through three different providers, and can see drafts and sent email in every account.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, maybe you need to learn a little more about the mail app. Drafts, sent, trash etc. are all supported.

You are maybe looking only at the unified inbox view and nothing else...?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have/are using an Exchange or IMAP account for your e-mail, you can access both Drafts and Sent e-mails. You'll need to navigate to the main e-mail account to see these, however, you can't see them in the All Accounts view portion of the Mail app.

Take a look at the pictures in this thread (the 4th post): http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/60856-extra-folder-mail-account.html. It shows how you can get to the main accounts to access the Drafts and Sent folders.

If you are using a POP mail account, then no, you won't have access to these folders on the iPad. Just the way POP mail is designed and works on the iPad...

Hope this helps.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got some legacy POP accounts set up on iPad, with STMP as my outgoing server, and I've got Drafts and Sent folders. I can't create additional folders on those accounts on iPad, but Drafts and Sent work fine.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP, have you ever sent email and created drafts with your accounts on iPad? Maybe those folders don't show up unless you send something or create a draft? (I don't remember, because it's been ages since I set up email on my original iPad, and I've just used backups to set up my subsequent iPads.)

Even if you've got a POP account, you should be able to have Sent and Drafts folders. For instance, the OP on this other thread is having another type of email prob, but he/she uses POP and mentions having a Sent folder. And I'm guessing that he/she doesn't have a Drafts folder because there've not been any drafts created:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/100434-my-inbox-emails-keep-disappearing.html

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The confusion here may be the following...

It is not possible to set up a POP account on your iPad mail.app and gain access to the complete history of your Drafts and Sent emails which may ALREADY be on your service providers servers.

It IS possible to use a POP account in the iPad mail.app and have Drafts and Send emails saved into those folders once you start using the iPad for email. Even then, those folders do not necessarily get synchronised with your service provider so that you can see those draft and sent emails on other clients.

This is a general limitation of using POP and is true for any basic mail setup on any device and is absolutely nothing to do with Apple or the iPad specifically.

If you need "full feature" email then I suggest you switch the account to IMAP. Most service providers allow that these days on everything but the most basic of email services, so you should definitely look into it. Once you have IMAP (or similar) enabled you will be able to enjoy the full features of folders etc. from your iPad mail.app and you should see everything seamlessly integrated with other computers.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts