What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

changing mail icon on ipad mini

nekokoneko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I have a jailbroken iPad Mini (6.1.2) and I am trying to change the mail icon using iFile. I have been following the instructions from this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=PFEQzYzH_68

Everything is working great except the mail icon. Whenever I replace all the files starting with icon in var/stash/applications/mobilemailapp (something like that) with the icon I want to use for my mail icon, I get a blurred out default mail icon (not the one I am trying to change the default one to).

Does anyone know what I am missing? I would rather not use WinterBoard because I have had some problems with it before, and I find manually changing themes/icons etc. a little easier.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only advice I can give you is to (1) make sure you are replacing the icons with a file that is EXACTLY the size of the icon/file you are replacing and (2) replace all of them.

I use Winterboard to change the appearance, so that's all I can think of trying. Hope it helps.

Marilyn

OP
N

nekokoneko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I`ll give that a try.

Winterboard does the trick as far as changing ALL my icons for me. The problem is that I don`t want to use the wallpaper that came with my theme, just the icons, and I want to set my own user wallpaper. I can`t figure out how to delete the theme wallpaper so that my user wallpaper will show up instead. Also, with my folders, I can see the tiny changed icon when the folder is closed on my springboard, but when I open a folder the icon goes back to default (ex. cydia). How can I fix this?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can single out a single icon and have Winterboard theme only that icon. If your theme directory is /var/stash/themes.xxxxx/themename.theme/bundle/folder/icon/iconfolder.name, or something of the sort (just a sample). Isolate the Mail.app icon folder. Then go back to themes.xxxx and recreate the same pathing, so you'll have /var/stash/themes.xxxx/mailappicon/bundle/folder/icon/iconfolder.name. Difference? In the original, you have all the mumbo-jumbo. In this new one, you strictly have the mail.app icon. As long as you keep the directory pathing the same, you can isolate any portion of a theme that you want, ultimately, if you like mixing and matching, you can end up putting everything into one main theme folder to implement all at once as long as you keep the "true" pathing the same, or the pathing that comes after the theme's name.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I`ll give that a try.

Winterboard does the trick as far as changing ALL my icons for me. The problem is that I don`t want to use the wallpaper that came with my theme, just the icons, and I want to set my own user wallpaper. I can`t figure out how to delete the theme wallpaper so that my user wallpaper will show up instead. Also, with my folders, I can see the tiny changed icon when the folder is closed on my springboard, but when I open a folder the icon goes back to default (ex. cydia). How can I fix this?

Then, you are like me! :)

I take everything theme I buy (and I won't go into details as to how many I have! :)) and I modify every one of them to ONLY have the icons themed.

I start by downloading the theme from Cydia. Then, using iFunbox (on my computer), I copy the all of the theme over to my PC. Then, on the computer, I go through each and every folder in the theme and delete everything I don't want from the theme. I remove all the UI themed elements, extra wallpapers, lockscreen tweaks/widgets, symbols, etc. I've even modified .plists so they are what I want. I keep the theming of the springboard folders, anything that says "icon" as a title and, of course, the mobileicons.framework auto-skinning folder (so my AppStore apps will theme).

It's very stripped down when I am done (I do it because I just like the looks of the icons, I don't need/want all the extra stuff). So, I usually end up with just the Bundles folder that contain an icon for each app...

Then, I re-name the theme (usually something like "My [ThemeName].theme") and, again using iFunbox, I put it back on the iPad in the themes directory.

Then, I activate my theme in Winterboard and ta da! I have a theme with only the elements I want. After that, I usually go back to Cydia and uninstall the original theme. Since I've paid for it, I can always go back and get it again, Nguyen I don't need it on my defice any longer.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle to remove all the elements of a theme I don't want. But, I feel much safer changing the appearance of my iPad using Winterboard versus going into the actual iPad system. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

/ramble. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts