What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magazines on Ipad Mini vs. Ipad

crutnacker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I both love the Next Issue app, which has the New Yorker, Wired, Time, Sports Illustrated and more compiled for one monthly fee. It works great on the iPad, but I'm curious as to how this app (or the individual apps for these magazines) looks on the iPad mini. Is it easy to read, just smaller? I have the iPad 2, (wife has the 3) so retina display isn't going to be a deal breaker, I just want to make sure the display is large enough to read these magazines well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you will find that if you can read it on an iPad 2 then it should work fine on the mini. All of the mags I read (none are the same as yours) seem to be fine.

somered

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I usually read books with iPad-mini. It's enough for me!!

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah it works swell for me also. Easy to hold in the palm of your hands and still elegant in so many ways.

xTyler

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO the mini is too small for proper magazine reading but fine for book reading.

I have to agree. I viewed the same page from the december issue of Mac Life on my mini and on my 3rd gen. Much easier to read a full page on the 3rd gen than on the mini....but if you zoom the page, you can read it fine. The fonts don't scale in Mac Life like they do in the Kindle app, so ebooks work better as you can adjust the font size.

It does depend on the mag a bit, too, though. For example, reading Distro, seems to work much better, but I'm not sure if there is a print version of it like there is for Mac Life.

Kraig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am struggling with this very issue . Also struggling typing in my Mini keyboard!

E books are formatted apparently to adjust to any size screen. That is why I have no problem reading books on my smartphone. Sure, you can Zooooom out and then you have zoom back in to read the next page. Many of the columns are
"Fixed in place" and you can not zoom at all. Now if I were 30 with great eyesight the mini would be fine. I am 64 with
Good eyesight, and i am developing eye strain with this mini. I got because of its neat convenient size. It's like carrying and holding a paperback (remember those?) and I guess,that's the problem. I don't read those anymore either.
It all depends on youth and eyesight. If you have both than the mini is for you. I hope someone contradicts me so that I can keep this Mini and make it work.

dongeel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
E books are formatted apparently to adjust to any size screen. That is why I have no problem reading books on my smartphone. Sure, you can Zooooom out and then you have zoom back in to read the next page. Many of the columns are
"Fixed in place" and you can not zoom at all. Now if I were 30 with great eyesight the mini would be fine. I am 64 with
Good eyesight, and i am developing eye strain with this mini. I got because of its neat convenient size. It's like carrying and holding a paperback (remember those?) and I guess,that's the problem. I don't read those anymore either.
It all depends on youth and eyesight. If you have both than the mini is for you. I hope someone contradicts me so that I can keep this Mini and make it work.

I agree that Mini is terrible with font sizes. I think all those guys working at Apple are young and do not understand the aged eye problems. I bought the mini thinking I will get the magnified view of iPod Touch, but it pretty much crams in more info with the same font sizes. I will have to get the desktop version with 40 in screen!

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magazines are formatted in many different fashions, some easier to read than others. The ebooks are so easily readable as Apple did such a fine job with the iBooks scalable fonts. No switching back and forth at all, ever. Simply choose the size most comfortable for your eyesight and leave it set at that level.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree that Mini is terrible with font sizes. I think all those guys working at Apple are young and do not understand the aged eye problems. I bought the mini thinking I will get the magnified view of iPod Touch, but it pretty much crams in more info with the same font sizes. I will have to get the desktop version with 40 in screen!

It's not the mini....it's the app you are using. The smarter ones make it possible to either change the font size or zoom the page. if you cannot do either of these, then look to the app for the solution. One other trick is to be sure to use the device in landscape rather than portrait mode.

grabbit97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got FREE magazines on my mini from our library using Zinio, and they are very readable.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if comparing with non retina ipad then its the same thing only a bit smaller :ipad-keyboard:

Kraig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is exactly why I am sticking with my NOOK and took back the Mini. Newseek's columns don't Zoom out, but
some articles do. Outdoor Life zooms each page. Ebooks, are formatted to fit the screen. Again, I can read a Ebook on my phone for that very reason. The only font enlarging is is found in SETTINGS and that only enlarges Email and does fit the print to the screen size.
Frankly it gets tiring zooming in to read; zooming out to turn the page. If you enjoy that, and or have great eyesight, then the Mini is for you. I worked hard for two months trying to keep the Mini, by using my wife's Full size Ipad for comparison. I am guessing the the font
size for the Mini is 12 compared to 16 for full size Ipad. You can't beat the Mini for size and convenience. In the end I took the mini back, bought my wife the Retina and kept her older full size for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts