What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost yahoo mail password

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone help, please. I tried to retrieve my e-mails and am being asked for my Yahoo password. Never had any problems before. All suggestions welcome. I cannot send or retrieve! Thank you in advance. Peter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter - welcome to the forum! :)

Now, I've not read your other posts, so not sure that those relate to this issue? I also have my Yahoo account linked to my iPad2 - I would suggest that you first 'Force Close' the Mail app (open the multitask bar, i.e. double tap the Home button or do a multi-fingering upward sweep; tap & hold any icon until all jiggle, then find & delete the 'Mail App' - exit to the home screen & try again).

If not successful, then 'Delete' your Yahoo account in the mail settings, and reset the account again w/ the information needed including your Yahoo password - good luck and let us know if these suggestions help - Dave :)

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Dave, for the welcome and the advice.

I followed your advice up to the point of deleting the account totally, as I got a warning - if I went to the next stage of 'delete', I would lose all stored info. I don't want to do this , if at all possible. So, I tried to re-activate the account, using my existing e-mail address but was told that it already existed and to log in using the password. The frustrating thing is -I must have a password reminder somewhere but cannot find it. Is there no way to retrieve the password, similar to other secure sites, under 'Forgotten Password'?
If I have no success, I shall have no alternative but to start a totally separate new account.

Thank you for trying. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Peter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter - your correct, when deleting an email account on the iPad, the warning that the data (emails, contacts, etc.) 'on the device' will be deleted; now, how this impacts on one's main mail server will depend on the incoming email protocol being used, i.e. POP3 or IMAP - POP will download your messages from the main server, whereas IMAP sends a 'copy' and keeps the original (like a cloud service) - not sure 'how' your account is configured.

Now concerning your Yahoo account, the password should be the same as you would use on the web-browser client - have you tried to just 're-enter' your current Yahoo password into the iPad's account settings? Also, if not already done, you might want to review Apple's 'troubleshooting guide' for the Mail App HERE - good luck and hopefully others who have had similar problems will chime in - Dave :)

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
giradman said:
Hi Peter - your correct, when deleting an email account on the iPad, the warning that the data (emails, contacts, etc.) 'on the device' will be deleted; now, how this impacts on one's main mail server will depend on the incoming email protocol being used, i.e. POP3 or IMAP - POP will download your messages from the main server, whereas IMAP sends a 'copy' and keeps the original (like a cloud service) - not sure 'how' your account is configured.

Now concerning your Yahoo account, the password should be the same as you would use on the web-browser client - have you tried to just 're-enter' your current Yahoo password into the iPad's account settings? Also, if not already done, you might want to review Apple's 'troubleshooting guide' for the Mail App HERE - good luck and hopefully others who have had similar problems will chime in - Dave :)

Thanks again Dave. I have checked and my mail server is shown as SMTP Yahoo Server. In the end, I did re-set the password and have had a confirmatory email from BTYahoo. Then strange things began to happen. 1. I can now get my emails via the link from Safari but when I try to get them via the Mail icon, I get a message saying 'unavailable', please try later. This has persisted for two days.
2. I have an android mobile phone which, since getting it, has been configured to receive my messages via BTYahoo. This stopped receiving email updates about the same time that my ipad did. Yesterday morning, I reset the phone password to the new one logged with BTYahoo and nothing happened until mid evening yesterday when the phone message alert sounded. When I checked, there were several days worth of emails, all coming in together. Then, I expected the ipad 'mail' to follow but, so far, nothing-just the same old message - 'Unavailable. Please try later'! Meanwhile, the Android is continuing to receive emails normally. I did as you suggested and tried the other site but no joy.
At least I can still in communication with the world but just wish I could understand the ipad problem and resolve it.

Thank you again for trying.

Peter

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Peter - sorry about your continual problems w/ your email; my Yahoo account is just the regular one so I have no experience w/ BT Yahoo, and am afraid that I have not much more to offer @ the moment; hopefully, others using this service and/or are having a similar problem will 'chime in' to help - good luck! Dave :)

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave.

Thank you for your interest and attempts to help. I do appreciate it. Hopefully someone will read this thread. I can't be the only one with the problem!

All the best,

Peter

danialfuller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've forgotten your Yahoo password, you can recover them using the account recovery wizard.

To recover your password:

Go to the Yahoo! account recovery wizard.
Click "I have a problem with my password."

Enter your Yahoo and the CAPTCHA word verification.

Your options for password recovery will be displayed.

Select one of these options for how to receive password reset instructions.

Depending on what you have set up, your options may include:

E-mail: Send an email to email address on file
Text: Send a text message to mobile number on file
Secret question: Use my secret questions

Click Next.

Follow the prompts based on your selection.

You'll receive instructions for how to reset your password:

E-mail: You'll receive an email with the subject line "How to reset your Yahoo" within 30 minutes.
Text: A temporary password will be sent to the mobile device number on file.
Secret question: Upon successful completion of the questions, you will be able to reset your password immediately.

OP
A

Aardvark13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Danialfuller. Welcome to the forum, from one nooby to another. Thank you for your reply. My question certainly brought forth quality rather than quantity!

I worked my way through, with the wizard and suddenly, hey presto, there were my emails. It was like a tap had been turned on! Obviously, I'm delighted and grateful; just wish I knew what happened to cause the problem in the first place. Also, I have been trying to identify what I did differently with the wizard, to what I did previously? Maybe I shall have a sudden flash of inspiration.

Anyway, I'm not going to meddle with it. It's up and running again. Many thanks to both of you for all your help..

All the best. Peter

Most reactions