What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing contacts when adding new

OP
M

markdayton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what I had to do, but in my case the contacts were already on my PC from a previous sync, so I didn't have to re-enter them. I finally solved the problem by moving all my contacts up to gmail. Now when I make changes to my contacts they are automatically available to everywhere I need them.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
No you wouldn't you could still use your current email, just use gmail for the storage/backup of your contacts. Thats what I initially did, but found gmail so useful switched to that for my main account. Still use the other account but less often.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would have to change my e-mail address to g-mail.

Never hurts to have a second email account. I have three. I also use a couple of aliases to my primary account. That way I can give an email address to sites I'm not sure about, and if I start to get a lot of spam at that address, I can just delete it.

Saul.s

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me as well, a sync with iTunes fixed it. A week later a similar thing happened to all of my text messages on my iPhone but those were lost beyond a sync.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

cremue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lost all my contacts today when editing and merging different accounts. Had no wifi on, no pc connection.

Got all my Exchange contacts back when connecting to the internet. But lost all my pc sync contacts.

Seems like a bug to solve.

Want to say also the contacts app regularly freezed upon saving changes. Text selecting also difficult in contact app.

Is it possible i changed to much Exchange contacts while being ofline?

Thanks for your feedback.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Contacts does seem to have problems with large numbers of contacts. Almost everyone who reports losing them seems to have lost a lot. Most of us prefer to keep our contacts synced with an online service like Google. It is never a good idea to trust all your important information in one place anyway.

I'm not aware of any offline Exchange contacts access, but I haven't looked for it either. If you are talking about Global Address lists, then you're very unlikely to find anything. This type of list is stored on the Exchange server and does not normally sync with anything.

rogie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read through this thread, and I don't see any solutions. Has anyone found one? I'm using iPad 1 and I've lost my contacts twice in th last six months. I don't think I have an inordinately large number of contacts, yet they're gone again. What gives?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The best solution is to not trust your contacts to the iPad alone. It's never a good idea to keep all your important data on one device. You should sync them, preferably with an online service.

A Google account is free, and if you set your iPad's account up as an Exchange account you will be able to sync multiple calendars as well as your contacts. You can ignore the email address, or use it as an alternate.

To set your Google account as Exchange on the iPad: Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Pay attention to the last link to see how you can sync multiple calendars from the account.

rogie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I guess my frustration runs deeper than a third party fix...why hasn't
Apple fixed this problem? Does anyone from apple monitor these forums for consistent issues?

Kizimov

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. Same problem with second ipad and both 4.3.1 and 4.3.3 fw, don't know what to do. Tried to restore, to create new itunes library and moved it to pc.
Now use backups with dropbox account.

Mlmotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this same issue, I have lost my contacts (1,000+). I have re-synced, rebooted, and tried every solution I have found to no avail. I get my contacts from gmail so they are backed up. The question is how to get them back on my iPad? I do have MobilMe on.

The ribbon at the top of the contacts screen says groups, is it possible that the contacts are there and I need to change that to contacts vs groups? If yes, how do I do that? However, the contacts do not load when I try to send an email.

Should I turn off the exchange contacts and then turn it back on?

Any idea's on how to fix this?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have set up your GMail account as an Exchange account as described earlier in the thread, it will sync contacts. Only contacts in the All Contacts grouo og GMail will sync. This is because Active Sync dose not support groups.

You mentioned the Groups ribbon. If you tap that you will see at the bottom of the list (below you MobileMe groups) a list of synced accounts. You can switch back and forth there.

It is possible to sync Google Contacts and MobileMe (though again groups are lost), but with iOS 5 and iCloud close I'd wait and see what they offer first.

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site, and same here on my iPad 2 I have just lost all my contacts! But I do back up on iTunes on my laptop, now I have taken it off automatically sync, as last time it happened in August, I had it on auto sync so it backed up nothing from contacts as nothing was in there, so this time can someone please tell me step by step what I actually need to do, to get all my contacts restored from backup so I do not lose the whole lot again? Thank you

blueyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done it! I read it on another forum on here how to restore back up and it worked! :) so yep now I'm a happy bunny.. Thank you

Most reactions