What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for iPad advice, and hello

ramcclain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello:

I found this forum while searching for iPad info, so hope it will be a help for me, and also a good source for a while to come.

I am an avid Apple fan; iMac (new), MacBook, Touch iPad, currently. I have wanted an iPad but waited until the 3G is available.

I am not sure which one to get. I plan to use to as an accessory to my 2 computers, and use when I am not at home. Question is do I need the 8gb or 32 gb? I do not plan to watch movies............will transfer my iTunes over for sure.

Anyway, am ready to order, so just need to know which one. Thanks so much, and looking forward to being on this forum.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't plan on keeping movies on your iPad, 16gb is probably going to be enough since videos take up the most room. The smallest iPad is 16gb, then 32gb and then 64gb.

To give you an idea, here is a graphical representation of my 16gb iPad --

ipad13.jpg

As you can tell, the bulk of my space is taken up with audio (music). What you are looking at is just over 800 songs. Some of those songs are full symphonies so they take up quite a bit more space than an "average" song. If I played all the music on my iPad from start to finish, it would take almost 3 days!

I do have one full length feature film and several shorter YouTube videos.

I have over 50 apps and as you can see, they take up very little room.

I have over 20 books and they also take up very little room.

And I still have plenty of room left over!

So now you can make an informed decision.

Last edited:
OP
R

ramcclain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow! That was really quick, and so, so helpful! I just didn't want to be sorry I didn't get enuf gb. I am interested in a gps app, and probably some others that I have on my iPod like Bento. Not much for games other than for grandchildren.

You, my new friend, have just saved me some $$$ ! thanks so much.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My pleasure!

Enjoy your iPad (when you get it) and in the mean time, you may want to take a peek at the iPad User Guide. It is a free PDF download from the Apple website at Apple - Support - Manuals That way you can "hit the ground running" when you get your iPad.

Most reactions