What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

location services

skrat982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb wi-fi iPad. Originally set it up at my home in Illinois. I am now at another location for 5 months, and I can't figure out how to get ipad to recognize this location. I am using the same computer and router that I use in Illinois and I suspect that may be the problem. How do I get iPad to recognize current location as numerous apps require it? Many apps, i.e. weather etc. I can simply change zip code, but others require the location services setting on iPad. My brain just isn't connecting on this one. Help!!!

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They seem to key off the Maps app. I'd open that and set GPS to my current location.

OP
S

skrat982

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, still can't figure out how to change current location in maps. No gps on my ipad? Actually, don't remember how I set it up to begin with.

afnetman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have an iPod touch 2g running iOS 3.1.3 and it is working with no problems. I just received my iPad running iOS 3.2 and the location service does not work. They are both on the same network with the same equipment so I can't figure out that the problem is. :(:mad:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The way the iPad gets location on wifi is by looking up its current Wifi Hotspots location. There is a huge database of wifi access points and where they are located. If you move and take your access point with you the database will still show your hotspot as being in its original location until it is updated.

To update your access points location you will need your access points MAC address (its printed on the label under your access point) and go to the following website:
SKYHOOK Wireless: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP

finnlad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 16gb wi-fi iPad. Originally set it up at my home in Illinois. I am now at another location for 5 months, and I can't figure out how to get ipad to recognize this location. I am using the same computer and router that I use in Illinois and I suspect that may be the problem. How do I get iPad to recognize current location as numerous apps require it? Many apps, i.e. weather etc. I can simply change zip code, but others require the location services setting on iPad. My brain just isn't connecting on this one. Help!!!
Were you able to fix this issue with the default location? If so, how did you do it?

afnetman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have added my WI-FI router to Skyhooks and I know it is working as my laptop is able to determine my location, but my iPad still does not locate my location in location services. Something is just not working with the iPad, iOS4 and locations service in rural areas.

Jules6167

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Location settings

I had the same problem, my ipad was showing my current location as 200 miles away from where I live. I tried everything as suggested in all the forums with no success. I noticed that when I opened up safari, down the left side on the google bar there was an option to change your postcode/zip code which I did, click show everything if the option isn't shown. Hey presto location now set and all ipads ie goskywatch are working fine, don't know if it will work for everyone but it certainly worked for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts