What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading photos on to New iPad.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Took some shots with iPhone and sent via photo stream to iPad. While still in photo stream I opened in iPhoto and that shows a pano shot at over 16MB.
Does that sound right and what is best way to reduce the size.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Things seem to be taking up a lot more space on iPad vs iPhone. iPhone has 3 songs, 24 videos, 635 photos and 162 apps. I have 7.1GB left of 13.5GB (used 6.4GB)

On iPad I only have 4 songs, 190 photos ( these same 190 photos are in the 635 on iPhone)' 75 apps. On iPad I have 22GB left out of 28GB (used 6GB).

But why would iPad have used as much storage space when so much less in photos and apps?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What format and size are the images saved in, on the iPad.

Every thing takes space even the operating system so even before you added anything some of the space was probably used.
I don't know how much the OS on the iPad used but all the apps etc. use space too.

But I would expect your photos on the iPad to use about 285 megabytes.
The music file vary according to how long the piece of music is.
Mine seem to mostly run 3 to 5 megabytes.

Mike

Ageace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took some shots with iPhone and sent via photo stream to iPad. While still in photo stream I opened in iPhoto and that shows a pano shot at over 16MB.
Does that sound right and what is best way to reduce the size.
Have you checked the pixel dimensions of the panorama? I have looked at some of my images saved with long edge 2048 and at full jpeg quality they come in at around 3.5 mb. That's still acceptable to me

To reduce your image size simply save in Lightroom with long edge 2048. You can still view with maximum resolution of the iPad. However, consider these points
1, if you want to print enlargements you should always keep the original file on your pc. Just save copies at 2048 for iPad.
2, to reduce file size further you will have to either change long edge to a smaller size than 2048 or compress further. If smaller than 2048 you will lose quality when viewing, if compress too hard ( less than 8) you will notice a quality drop to - or even artifacts.

Ultimately my advice would be reduce images to 2048 at jpeg 10 compression or greater. You won't compromise on quality this way.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when I import to iPad from SD card it goes into imported album. Them the ones I want to actually save I move to another album.
Then when I try to delete from imported it says it will delete everywhere. How do I delete from the imported album without deleting from the album I saved it in??

Because it looks like it is being counted twice ( in imported album and album I saved to). I don't want it to take twice the space?

Ageace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you are trying to delete the master - the other photos you moved will be links to the master file, not copies. Therefore the copies take up a tiny amount of space. If you delete the master you'll delete the copies too. You can't move the masters on iPad.

Therefore there's no need to worry about the space. However, if you want you can export to your computer, sort the images into albums and then delete the master library before importing back to iPad. Then the images will be the master files in your chosen albums. You can't do this in the iPad currently, only on your PC. Hers the instructions iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like you are trying to delete the master - the other photos you moved will be links to the master file, not copies. Therefore the copies take up a tiny amount of space. If you delete the master you'll delete the copies too. You can't move the masters on iPad.

Therefore there's no need to worry about the space. However, if you want you can export to your computer, sort the images into albums and then delete the master library before importing back to iPad. Then the images will be the master files in your chosen albums. You can't do this in the iPad currently, only on your PC. Hers the instructions iOS: Importing personal photos and videos from iOS devices to your computer

So sounds like when you take picture with iPad. It immediately goes to Camera Roll. Then if you save to another album it is not another full copy ( guess link like you say).

But still trying to get all this photo stream stuff right. "My Photo Stream", vs "
Shared Photo Streams", vs "imported". Seems like I can save image to album from "My Photo Stream" and then deleted from "My Photo Stream" and keep in album. But if I copy from "Imported" to album, and then try to delete from "Imported" it will also delete from album.?? How do I remove items from "Imported"??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So sounds like when you take picture with iPad. It immediately goes to Camera Roll. Then if you save to another album it is not another full copy ( guess link like you say).

Yep.

But still trying to get all this photo stream stuff right. "My Photo Stream", vs "
Shared Photo Streams", vs "imported". Seems like I can save image to album from "My Photo Stream" and then deleted from "My Photo Stream" and keep in album.

Photo Stream photos must be copied to the camera roll before you can do anything more than view them. After that, they behave exactly as other photos on the camera roll.

Here is the Photo Stream FAQ, and a bit about Shared Photo Streams.

But if I copy from "Imported" to album, and then try to delete from "Imported" it will also delete from album.?? How do I remove items from "Imported"??

Imported albums act just like the camera roll for linking to albums and deleting purposes.

Most people who want better control over how their photos are synced and organized use a third party app like Photo Manager Pro. You can not eliminate the use of the Photos app, for a lot of reasons, but you can place your permanent albums in another app and leave the more transient stuff in Photos.

pimpers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I am new here and sorry to butt in on this thread but it was the nearest one to jump onto that was relative to what I want to know.

I have been trying to take some pictures off my PC to put on my Ipad 3 to use as a picture frame but it will not let me do this. I have placed my SD card into my card reader and copied the photos onto the SD card. I have then used the camera kit and plugged in my card. Waited and nothing happened until I get a message "no photos on card". Yet is will find the pictures taken on the camera and the added pictures are in the same folder. Why won't they transfer?
[/FONT]
One thing that I was happy to find was that I can just plug my iPad into my computer's USB Port and look at it in Windows Explorer. The first time you will get the loading software message.

It shows up there as a Hard Drive just like a camera would and you can copy and paste image and video files back and forth with no problems, so you can re-size them rotate them or whatever in Windows before you transfer them, if you want to.

You can also transfer the images from the iPad to your computer, run them through Photoshop, or your video through a video editor and then move then back to the iPad.
Mike

I have tried what is suggested above and yes, it does find it and the pictures it has stored. Just like a removable disk. I try to transfer the pictures and nothing happens, it won't let you. Why?

I have tried to transfer the picture directly onto my camera while it is plugged into the PC, again it won't let me.

Can what I am trying to do be possible please?

I have no idea how ICloud or Dropbox works but could this be a way of transfering them?

Many thanks from a very frustrated old man.

pimpers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi azonie and thanks for the reply.

Yes all photos are .JPG. The same as all the others that are on there from the SD card.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as the iPad is concerned the SD card is a camera card, and must behave as a camera card.

Format the SD car in the camera (not the PC)

When coping the pictures to the SD card, make sure the images are .jpg (or .png, or tif) and that the file names no longer than 8 alphanumeric characters, not including the character extension. No spaces.

An easier method would be to use one of several apps to copy photos directly to the iPad from the computer using wi-fi. My preferred app is PhotoSync (no hyphen). It will let you transfer photos between iOS devices and/or the computer either via bluetooth or wi-fi (if they are on the same network). The app is universal, so you only pay once to download it on all your iOS devices. There is an optional (and recommended) computer app as well. It is free.

Ageace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerpoet speaks a lot of sense. I also use photosync which is superb. I'm not a fan of wires, all too much hassle. Photosync allows you to copy photos into albums ( no duplication) on your ipad, from your pc. Or from ipad to iPhone and visa versa.

If I remember rightly photosync costs less than a cheap cables- no brainier for me.

maxkulit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,need your help here....i bought an ipad 3 and im wondering if is there a way that i can directly transfer my photos from my camera to my ipad? I don't have a pc where i can transfer the photos from my digicam then transfer to my ipad. i've seen on the apple store that there's an adapter but its a lightning adapter fro ipad 4th gen and ipad mini only.i opted to have an ipad than to have a laptop since i seldom use a pc and im not that computer savy. just know the basics. :( would there be an adapter available for ipad 3 that connects directly from my camera.thanks!

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi all,need your help here....i bought an ipad 3 and im wondering if is there a way that i can directly transfer my photos from my camera to my ipad? I don't have a pc where i can transfer the photos from my digicam then transfer to my ipad. i've seen on the apple store that there's an adapter but its a lightning adapter fro ipad 4th gen and ipad mini only.i opted to have an ipad than to have a laptop since i seldom use a pc and im not that computer savy. just know the basics. :( would there be an adapter available for ipad 3 that connects directly from my camera.thanks!

What you need is an Apple camera kit. It plugs into iPad and lets you plug camera into it. This would allow you to transfer from camera to iPad. It also has adapter to accept SD card. I shot with a DSLR that has CF and SD cards. I put lower resolution on SD card to load on iPad.

Most reactions