What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LG Says New Tablet Will be Better Than the iPad

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are missing the point of using the ipad or understanding how great the ipad is as a tablet.

It is not a case of how much wonder can the ipad do, so what if a windows can do more? The good thing about the ipad is the integration of everything in the Apple family; hardware and software.

I want to use the ipad because it has a long lasting battery and this comes at a price for not having USB, or fancy stuff in the OS. Granted it lacks flash, blah blah blah....but it still works to a certain extend and it can be jailbreak.

I want to use ipad because it ties in smoothly with my iMac and I don't want to click too many buttons, select many options just to syn or just to download, install stuff.

I want to just plug in my ipad, iTunes opens itself and both syn automatically. It's suppose to make my life easy, entertain me...not do excel, words....I don't want to work on my ipad. On the iMac, Yes, but not iPad.

So, the iPad has satisfied the target of what it is suppose to do; entertain.

I do spreadsheets all the time on my iPad ;)

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's the thing folks - if this new tablet is better than the iPad - YIPPIE!!! I'll buy one and will have something even better than my iPad which I think is terrific.

If not - oh well.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to just plug in my ipad, iTunes opens itself and both syn automatically. It's suppose to make my life easy, entertain me...
it does the same on my PC too ;)

You're right though. The iPad has a specific target audience it was built for. It can do more beyond that target marginally, but it does what it was made for very well.

For those that need a slate device that does other things, those devices are coming. Different slates will have different targets in mind. Different people will buy what works best for them. It doesn't have to be about "Device X beats device Y". The one with the broadest appeal will sell more units, but the one that works best for what you want may or may not be the one that sells the most units.

WilliamOfOranje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those that need a slate device that does other things, those devices are coming. Different slates will have different targets in mind. Different people will buy what works best for them. It doesn't have to be about "Device X beats device Y". The one with the broadest appeal will sell more units, but the one that works best for what you want may or may not be the one that sells the most units.

Well said, though I have one thing to add...

The iPad's appeal is that it targets the average consumer, it makes for a great and user friendly media device and a decent internet gadget. New developers will have to either: a) make a better product and advertise it just as well (good luck with that!); b) Make a cheaper product that targets a different demographic; or c) tailor to specific needs (such as Motion Computing and Cisco is doing). Either way, it's gonna be tight with Apple hogging all the lime light. Oh, or d) make a different product which is suitable for the average consumer and offers something Apple does not... Windows perhaps?

Jake from Tablet Reviews

chrisadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Competing with the iPad's suite of applications will also be a technical stumbling block for many competitors coming from the PC world, and Alexander said it was likely the first competitive devices might come from smartphone devices, although HP's acquisition of Palm put the world's largest IT company in an advantageous position.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Technically it should be easy to improve on the iPad if you are going just by specifications, but it's a complete package of gadget, os, ui, software and appstore. Beating that combination is going to be the difficulty. Especially after the iOS upgrade this fall.

I suspect we have been conditioned by computers for so long we expect the iPad to behave like our desktops.
It's easy to fit a camera, but then I never used the one on my main machine. USB is again an easy upgrade but I can live happily without it. Flash is turned off on my main machine and I never miss it, so why bother? More ram would be nice and a faster cpu but not at the expense of battery life.
What I definately don't want is a slow unresponsive machine which runs bloated software.

Still it's new, it's evolving and I'm looking forward to alternative implementations of the format. Apple's not perfect and a good kick in the pants can only be beneficial in the long run :)

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Technically it should be easy to improve on the iPad if you are going just by specifications, but it's a complete package of gadget, os, ui, software and appstore. Beating that combination is going to be the difficulty. Especially after the iOS upgrade this fall.

Err, hate to burst your bubble but beating the iOS features and capabilities is already done. Step into a Phone store and ask for a demo of a new Android phone. The iOS4 upgrade primarily gives Apple devices multitasking so that THEY can keep up with Android. And with Android phones like the Droid X coming out with 8GB of application RAM they can pull off multitasking really well.

What Google needs now is some high end hard ware manufacturers to put it together with a large form factor tablet. Enter Dell, HTC, Samsung and Motorola and the next wave of Android tablets are likely to keep Steve Jobs up nights.

The next few months are going to be very good to people looking for competition in this market.

Most reactions

Latest posts