What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LEGO Robot Used to Test iPad App!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[video=vimeo;28363975]http://vimeo.com/28363975[/video]​

Great story today on GigaOM about French iOS developers Pheromone Labs, who figured out a brilliant way of testing a stop-motion iPad app that they are in the process of developing, by building a LEGO robot to carry out all the grunt work. The app needed to be stress-tested by having it take 10,000 photos, but of course that would have been somewhat monotonous, not to mention time-consuming, for a human to do, and would most likely have resulted in some sort of repetitive strain injury, so instead they built a cute little robot made out of LEGO and put the little chap to work. Pheromone Labs’ Mathieu Savage says that they built the robot using a LEGO RCX kit from the 1990s, and put two styli on the end of a pair of gears so that the robot could then take a photo, preview it and do the same all over again. And again and again! Very cool!

Source: Need to stress test an iPad app? Build a LEGO robot! — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look up the definition of Helper Robot. That is exactly what this is, doing a repetitive, menial task...

As someone with a minor in robotics, I can assure you this is definitely a robot. We teach robotic concepts with these Lego kits by the way.

-g

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had no idea that robots had been around for so long. That definition makes almost any machine a robot.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I taught a class in robotics in 1977...

We programmed robots in FORTH and were state of the art...

One could easily argue that the first known robot was a mechanical bird from 350BC

The first industrial robots went into production in the 1960s for GM

-t

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cool, I'll show this to my little cousin who wastes his time building houses with Lego, throwing it up in the air and rebuilding. He is missing out haha.

Most reactions