What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xiao Zhi iPad Case with Notebook Review

TTown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been searching for an iPad case that would fit my needs. I needed a professional looking case with a notepad to take notes, a place to hold my business cards as well as other pockets to keep random papers organized. After much research I decided to buy the iPad case made by Xiao Zhi. The website is here:

iPad Full Grain cowhide Leather Portfolio case for ipad

It is $99 and $10 for shipping. It took 14 days to arrive to my house. The manufacture is located in Hong Kong so I can understand the extra shipping time. Once at my house I noticed the case was packed in bubble wrap and that’s it. I must say it is kind of odd to have a package delivered in just bubble wrap. Due to the poor packaging, there are some indentations on the back of the case.

Case6.jpg

The quality of the case is what I was looking for. It is constructed of soft cowhide leather complimented with a white stitching. I was a little hesitant of the white stitching when ordering the product, but I admit it looks better in person and prefer it to black stitching now that I have it.

Case5.jpg

Case4.jpg

The outer portion of the case is just the right amount of firmness to keep its shape without making the case feel like a book. On the left side of the case there is a zippered pocket (11 x 7), a button pocket (3 x 5), an open pocket (4½ x 4) as well as a larger pocket on the side to hold 8½ x 11 paper or manila folders. It does not have a pocket specifically designed for business cards, but the button pocket works just fine.

Case2.jpg

Case3.jpg

The middle of the case comes with a spot to hold an 8½ x 11 notepad on one side and a sleeve to hold more paper or manila folders on the back. On the right side of the case is where the iPad is placed. It is secured down by two leather straps on the right and two elastic straps on the left. The iPad is secure enough inside, I can’t imagine it coming loose even if the case is dropped. One thing to note is the fact the upper right strap covers the power button on the iPad. It is not a problem turning ON the iPad using the home button, but turning it OFF can be somewhat of a chore. The connector cable, speaker, headphone jack and volume buttons are easily accessible while in the case. Below the iPad are two holders for pens or a stylus. The top holder can hold thicker pens. In the pictures below I have a four color pen for reference. It is a bit of a squeeze to hold my Mont Blanc pen and I don’t feel comfortable placing it in the holder. Finally, the case is easily closed with a zipper extending around the case.

Case1.jpg

Case7.jpg

Pros:
· Quality leather for a professional look and feel
· Holds an 8½ x 11 notepad
· Additional pockets for storage

Cons:
· Power button is covered by one of the straps
· Packaging could be better to protect the case during shipment
· Takes 2 weeks to ship to address

In conclusion I find this case does exactly what I need it to do. The quality of the case combined with the features it provides make this case worth the purchase. At $99 it isn’t the cheapest around, but is well worth the money in my opinion. If you are looking for a professionally styled case that holds a notepad as well as business cards and other papers, then I recommend giving this a shot.

Last edited:

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have three different notepad portfolios of the regular kind. I used to carry my MSI wind in one, and have on occasion slipped my iPad into another one as well.

I like the idea that it doesn't attract much "unwanted" attention to my iPad.

llars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am curious to know if that middle flap is removable or more specifically, reversable so that the notepad is facing the ipad.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why the notebook paper? The point of the iPad is to eliminate all the unnecessary things.

llars

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flowcharting? Sketching a network layout? Paper is used for a lot more than just text..

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found programs for everything I could possibly need in a work day. That's why it is just going to be me and a simple case. I don't want to carry around something bigger than my iPad. That looks about the same size as my laptop.

OP
T

TTown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This case isn't for everyone. For my job I needed to have a notebook. The iPad note taking apps just didn't cut it for me. I looked at many cases before deciding on this one. I have had it 4+ months now and love it. I use this everyday. The iPad can easily be removed if I need to, but 95% of the time it is in this case.

Most reactions