What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My final 4 Genuine leather cases

egish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wanting to get a brown genuine leather portfolio style case for my iPad 2. And after looking around for days I think I have narrowed it down to my final 4.

I have read most of your comments on many cases, but would still appreciate any more comments on these. Especially if any discount codes are known.

Thanks in advance
Ed

Belkin Verve
Belkin Verve Folio Stand for<br/>iPad 2 F8N613tt
Not a lot of images availabale yet to see the details of it. Not does it appear to be shipping yet. But looks nice

CaseCrown
http://www.casecrown.com/ipad2/bold-standby/ipad2-bold-standby-case-black
Looks like it is good quality, but I am not sure if it is genuine leather or not. I like the width of the base when in horizontal mode. And I am wanting brown as well

Chinao
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220750108850
Looks like a nice one too, and the quality looks great. But I am leary of the rounded edges making it look more like a bag than the stiff square corners of the other ones. But love the real leather and color of this. The face plate hsa a nice width to it.

Yoobao
Executive Leather Case--²úÆ·ÃÅâ
This is my favorite right now. I do not see a iPad 2 one available yet. But I am sure they will have one. Looks like the best quality. I am thinking this one looks more orange than brown.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't want to add much bulk to the iPad, and a border around the screen is a NOGO for me because it just catches junk and makes cleaning difficult.

I'm planning a Zagg LeatherSkin and the SmartCover for elegance, utility and minimum bulk.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am surprised that I am not seeing or hearing any aftermarket manufacturer talking about adding magnets to turn the iPad2 off and on when opening or closing.

I looked at zoogue and really liked their product. Really liked the infinite adjustable velcro in the stand. I emailed them asking about the magnetic smart feature two days ago and no response at all, yet

OP
E

egish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah I am surprised too. I see a few of the cases with elastic straps to use as closures, and assume they are from the iPad 1 design. Hopefully they understand the simplisity and elegance of a magnet in the case cover.

Some actually do list the magnet, but not many

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wanting to get a brown genuine leather portfolio style case for my iPad 2. And after looking around for days I think I have narrowed it down to my final 4.

The only thing I will advise is: many vendors will happily use the word "leather" in their product name and description when the material is some kind of synthetic leather (usually vinyl). If the description does not explicitly say "genuine leather", do not assume that it is - synthetic leathers these days can be made of very good quality, and look and feel like the real thing.

Usually the other giveaway is the price: genuine leather tends to start in the $75-100 price range and goes upwards from there. If you see a leather (no "genuine") item in the $50 or less, chances are it's synthetic.

You should also take a look on Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies if you haven't already: there are many vendors there who make iPad cases from genuine leather, and they can even customize if you don't find an item which fits your needs exactly.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
egish said:

I have read most of your comments on many cases, but would still appreciate any more comments on these. Especially if any discount codes are known.

Thanks in advance
Ed

Belkin Verve
Belkin Verve Folio Stand for<br/>iPad 2 F8N613tt
Not a lot of images availabale yet to see the details of it. Not does it appear to be shipping yet. But looks nice

CaseCrown
http://www.casecrown.com/ipad2/bold-standby/ipad2-bold-standby-case-black
Looks like it is good quality, but I am not sure if it is genuine leather or not. I like the width of the base when in horizontal mode. And I am wanting brown as well

Chinao
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220750108850
Looks like a nice one too, and the quality looks great. But I am leary of the rounded edges making it look more like a bag than the stiff square corners of the other ones. But love the real leather and color of this. The face plate hsa a nice width to it.

Yoobao
Executive Leather Case--²úÆ·ÃÅâ
This is my favorite right now. I do not see a iPad 2 one available yet. But I am sure they will have one. Looks like the best quality. I am thinking this one looks more orange than brown.

The yoobao is also under the brand AYL and Amazon has it available for the iPad 2.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leather-built-Generation-Tablet/dp/B004QYUHFY[/ame]

OP
E

egish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the tips guys. I appreciate it.

I think I like the Yoobao case the best out of the 4. It is real leather and it seems to have good quality as well.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
egish said:

I think I like the Yoobao case the best out of the 4. It is real leather and it seems to have good quality as well.

I'm considering the Yoobao case as well. Please post pictures and/or a review if you get it.

rollerd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want to add much bulk to the iPad, and a border around the screen is a NOGO for me because it just catches junk and makes cleaning difficult.

I'm planning a Zagg LeatherSkin and the SmartCover for elegance, utility and minimum bulk.[/QUOTE

I'm hoping Zagg will produce a SmartCover of their own to match their LeatherSkin.

OP
E

egish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
egish said:

I'm considering the Yoobao case as well. Please post pictures and/or a review if you get it.

I ordered it from Amazon via AYL and I should get it this week hopefully.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My parents' iPad has a Yoobao case and having inspected it personally, it is made from PU (polyurethane) leather.

In a manner of speaking, it is based on genuine leather (i.e. came from an animal), but the process of manufacturing it essentially removes many of the aspects one normally associates with genuine leather, such as developing a patina or "seasoned with age." In some countries, PU leather is not permitted to be advertised as "genuine leather". It can be manufactured cheaply, hence its price.

For more info -- Bicast leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia; http://www.mainlychairs.co.nz/leather%20advice.htm

Amorissette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is It me or nobody uses their iPad case to carry some other stuff - business cards, some papers given at a meeting etc..? I have a griffin case and where I can put stuff in the flip side of the cover and it is great.. It lacks the functionality of serving as a stand.. When I want to type in landscape mode on a desk/table... If I could find one with these characteristics.. I'd switch in an instant.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amorissette said:
Is It me or nobody uses their iPad case to carry some other stuff - business cards, some papers given at a meeting etc..? I have a griffin case and where I can put stuff in the flip side of the cover and it is great.. It lacks the functionality of serving as a stand.. When I want to type in landscape mode on a desk/table... If I could find one with these characteristics.. I'd switch in an instant.

I agree with you, I go back and forth about getting a case that holds a notepad that I could use in meetings and one with a built in stands for typing, viewing movies.

Most reactions

Latest posts