What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve just checked again, and I was mistaken about the “Single tap and drag”, as in actual fact the “Double tap and drag” is still working for me to select multiple text as it always has.
The “Single tap and drag” is still working as a “Drag and drop” for pictures etc, and doesn’t shift the screen for me. To shift the screen left or right I can drag the page with one finger without the initial tap.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For devices not compatible with macOS Monterey, Apple released Big Sur 11.6.1. There‘s also a security update for macOS Catalina.

If you don‘t intend to update or haven’t updated yet to iOS/iPadOS 15, there‘s an important security update for your iPhone/iPad: 14.8.1.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple released tvOS 15.1.1, and an update for Safari (15.1) for macOS Big Sur and Catalina.
Well in the last few days, I upgraded all of our 4 iDevices to 15.1 which seemed to go fine - now reading Josh Centers book below (v. 1.1, Sept 20, 2021 release) - just completed TvOS 15.1.1 (seems like I just did 15.1!) - holding off on Monterey until some updates are released and maybe wait for 12.1? Dave :)
Take-Control-of-iOS-15-and-iPadOS-15-cover-300x388.png

Querty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve updated and quite like how pressing on the address bar right at the top brings up my bookmarks but can I stop the keyboard popping up every time I do this ? It’s really annoying,thanks guys.

Querty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok no takers on that one how about this,I use duck duck go for a certain forum I use as it seems to stop annoying pop ups but when I close it and press on Safari it opens and the keyboard is showing on the left side of the screen but it’s in portrait not landscape like my iPad is locked to ? It takes a few left swipes to close the keyboard. I’m getting more bugs than a tramps vest after the last update and I don’t know if it’s connected but my Gmail app often freezes when trying to attach a picture to an email and only turning the pad off and back on sorts it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as your first question, I can not duplicate it. Press-holding on the URL bar pulls up a short menu that includes Copy, Add to Reading List, and Add Bookmark. The keyboard does not come up unless I tap on the address bar so that the cursor appears. At that point you go into edit mode, and the keyboard comes up.

The second issue is odd. I don’t use the Duck Duck Go app (though I do use the search engine), so I can’t check it out. The possibilities range from the app needing updating (see if you have the most up-to-date version, a bug in iPadOS (should eventually be solved), or a glitch. Powering your iPad down and restarting should fix that, so give it a try if you haven’t done so recently.

I’ve occasionally had glitches that cause unusual keyboard behavior. Most of the time restarting the iPad fixes them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
See how the URL/address bar text is highlighted. You are in edit mode. The keyboard shows up because it’s ready to enter text. This is normal. Tapping on the address bar will always do this.

It is possible to (not tap) but simply place your finger on the address bar and hold it there until a menu shows up. This is what I was talking about.

The window with your favorites is something I’ve never seen before. I’ll have to search through Safari’s settings and see if I can figure out where it comes from. I wonder if it is an extention, though I don’t know how you would get it without knowing you’d added it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I take it back. I do get the favorites window. I guess I just never noticed.

The keyboard coming up is normal, and you can’t make it not do that (other than using a hardware keyboard.) Tapping on the URL bar is telling Safair you want to enter something. If the keyboard did not show up you would not be able to do enter searches or URLs.

Most reactions

Latest posts