What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I discovered something that may have been true in iPadOS 14, but didn't make much of a difference. When you rearrange your icon and widgets in portrait or landscape view, they remember those views. In other words, you can arrange your landscape and portrait views to look how you want them, and they won't mess each other up.

That does not mean they can have different content, just that the content does not have to be in the same place. More importantly it does not have to be where it starts out after you do the initial arrangement in one view. That is important, because how iPadOS automatically arranges the portrait view after you've carefully tweaked your landscape view is often less than good.

Why is this a big deal? Because of widgets. If your icons are slightly out of the perfect sequence, it's only slightly annoying. If your widgets are moved, the whole screen becomes organized differently, assuming any of your careful organization remains at all.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 15.0.2 as well as watchOS 8.0.1 with bug fixes and security updates.
Well, there seems to be some controversy in upgrading immediately to iOS/iPadOS 15 - some discussion HERE; I'll usually wait for several minor updates before transitioning; so still on 14.x and probably will not jump to the next level until 15.1 - how are others considering this upgrade? Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I updated from 14.8 to 15.0.2 today. Aside from locking up during the verifying step, the download took a long time, presumably due to heavy server load. One annoying new "feature:" Weblock no longer blocks nearly all ads. Also, Safari zooms way in whenever switching from another app back to a webpage where the keyboard is in use. Is there a way to disable this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve had one of my apps, Documents by Readdle, crash/close several times, and once locked up the entire iPad. Not enough to enrage or stop me from getting my work done, but very annoying. The Shorcuts app is full of buggy behavior, and that does tick me off, but it‘s not a show stopper since I don’t depend on it for anything. But I’d like too.

The first is probably more the app’s fault than Apple’s. The second is all on Apple. Shorcuts has been buggy from the first Beta. They fell down on the job of getting it ready for iPadOS 15’s public release.

Other than that, things are looking pretty good here.

Downloading and istalling iPadOS and iOS 15 tonight. Hopefully my pet bugs have been squashed.

As far as waiting for the first major point update, that’s wise. Especially for those who depend on their iPads for work or vital entertainment. Some (me) of us are not so patient. :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More stupid iPadOS 15 "features:" you can't drag things around without stumbling over a pop-up jellybean of some sort--try playing a jigsaw puzzle! Doubletap-dragging to select multiple words no longer works. If you hesitate when scrolling a page, it starts selecting text instead. These changes to the way touch works are just crazy, violating years of acquired muscle memory, and apparently are not switchable. What moron at Apple thought they were a good idea?

Applying this update was a huge mistake. Using my iPad has gone from a joy to a mortal struggle. I'm on the verge of chucking it into the trash.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yet another iPadOS 15 bug. Every morning, I wake it from sleep to find it's dropped the wifi connection. I have to use Settings to reselect my network, instead of it connecting automatically.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
More stupid iPadOS 15 "features:" you can't drag things around without stumbling over a pop-up jellybean of some sort--try playing a jigsaw puzzle! Doubletap-dragging to select multiple words no longer works. If you hesitate when scrolling a page, it starts selecting text instead. These changes to the way touch works are just crazy, violating years of acquired muscle memory, and apparently are not switchable. What moron at Apple thought they were a good idea?

Applying this update was a huge mistake. Using my iPad has gone from a joy to a mortal struggle. I'm on the verge of chucking it into the trash.

I must admit I’m not experiencing the problems you are having. I find a ‘Single tap & drag’ will now select multiple words, and will also select and drag a picture (for “drag and drop”). I’ve not experienced the scrolling problem either.

And I also have no problem with my iPad retaining connection to my wifi as soon as I open it in the morning. I’m using iPadOS15.1 beta 4.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yet another iPadOS 15 bug. Every morning, I wake it from sleep to find it's dropped the wifi connection. I have to use Settings to reselect my network, instead of it connecting automatically.

It’s not a universal bug as my iPad Pro has never had that problem on any iOS version including iOS 15.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I find a ‘Single tap & drag’ will now select multiple words, and will also select and drag a picture (for “drag and drop”). I’ve not experienced the scrolling problem either.

A single tap and drag in Safari now scrolls the screen sideways, since Safari can't seem to understand how wide the page should be, usually stretching it too wide to fit the screen. Another new bug.

And I also have no problem with my iPad retaining connection to my wifi as soon as I open it in the morning. I’m using iPadOS15.1 beta 4.

It could be related to a problem I've been having with my router, which reboots itself periodically for no apparent reason. The iPad should simply reconnect when the signal returns, but I have to reselect my network in .settings.

Most reactions

Latest posts