What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One app updated straight after I got the ‘needs to be updated’ message; another I did as you -delete and reinstall. Others I have moved to a ‘possible delete’ folder, for which I will wait and see whether they get updates.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few more updates released recently:
Firmware version for AirPods (2nd gen.) and AirPods Pro: 3E751
iTunes for Windows 10 and later: 12.11.3
Security updates for macOS Catalina (2021-002) and Mojave (2021-003)
Safari 14.1 for macOS Catalina and Mojave
Xcode 12.5 for macOS Big Sur 11 and later
iCloud for Windows 12.3 (10 and later)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unlocked my iPhone with Apple Watch for first time to day.
. . .At a guess it is unlikely that it will be updated and hence the sketches and notes I made and saved in the app are lost as they are no longer accessible. I am surprised that an Apple pre-update warning was not given, after all loads of useful apps are produced by developers who come and go. The inability of some apps to continue to work with iOS14.5 was I assume noted in beta trials - as with other apps - but which ones?

Some fairly obvious observations, because I can’t keep my mouth shut. :oops:

Apple does not have the resources to test all apps for a beta. That is up to the developers. When a developer stops supporting an app, it is time to start considering migrating. When you choose a content creation think long and hard before picking one that does not have a long history of support, does not save in a standard file format, and/or has no migration tools.

Lacking all of those, the best I can suggest is screenshots, if you can get the app running again.

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After installing iPadOS 14.5, I got one "needs to be updated" alert, for a handy unit conversion app called Vert. Oddly, the same app worked in iOS 14.5 on an iPhone SE (1st gen). I deleted and reinstalled Vert on the iPad from the App Store, and bingo, it's now fine. I have no explanation, but the moral is don't give up too easily.

I just tried my copy of Vert and got the same message. So I tried your suggestion and deleted it. However when I tried to download it again I got the message “This app is not available in your country/region”. That’s on my iPad Air2 with iPadOS 14.5 (in the U.K.)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aerofly: That is the danger of delete and re-download. Fortunately the app I was able to do that with had changed its name slightly so I was able to download the new version before I deleted the old one. I think that the name change is very unusual.

If Vert is available for another country, but not UK, try a VPN to make your iPad appear to be in the other country.

Two other observations: one app I have works with iOS 14.5, on my iPhone, but not iPadOS14.5.

Also, an app that won’t launch, won’t let you get to the authors contact details via the app onboard ‘about’.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The most recent updates:
iOS 12.5.3, iOS and iPadOS 14.5.1, watchOS 7.4.1, and macOS Big Sur 11.3.1.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just spotted that updates iOS and iPadOS 14. 6 available

edit:
Podcasts

• Subscription support for channels and individual shows

AirTag and Find My

• Lost Mode option to add an email address instead of a phone number for AirTag and Find My network accessories

Accessibility

• Voice Control users can unlock their iPad for the first time after a restart using only their voice

This release also fixes the following issues:

• Reminders may appear as blank lines
  • Bluetooth devices could sometimes disconnect or send audio to a different device during an active call

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:

Apple security updates

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple released iOS 12.5.4 for devices not capable of iOS or iPadOS 14, iMovie 10.2.4 for macOS Catalina and later, and a new firmware update for the AirTags.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been playing with iPadOS 15 Beta for a few days. A few observations

1) It has plenty of minor bugs. I don't recommend it for anyone that depends on their iPad and has no good alternatives.
2) Shortcuts is supper buggy. Making new shortcuts right now is an exercise in frustration. However, the new actions are interesting, and I keep trying.
3) New Safari UI is not as annoying as various blogs and videos suggested. I expect to be used to it in a bit.
4) Very happy with the improvements to multitasking. It's much easier to arrange, re-arrange, and use multiple apps.
5) I might actually start to like and use widgets, along with pages specialized for certain activities. Still to few of them, but I've set up a main, entertainment, and game page so far (see below). Having the ability have multiple app icons means different pages can have the same app, if it fits more than one use/purpose/page idea.

Much more to explore.

ADFC24FC-B960-4F0F-AE0E-1C376A1C182F_1_101_o.jpeg5C47A77B-6392-44EA-B0E8-C13EB0AD8620_1_101_o.jpegA259DCFD-C5F8-477A-93D9-30F073790670_1_101_o.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I really didn’t like about iPadOS 15 beta is how it installed multiple widgets I didn’t choose on my home pages automatically as a result of the upgrade.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. I didn’t use widgets before.
I’m using Safari on a daily basis, and after getting used to it I prefer the way it works with iPadOS 15.
After the update to iPadOS 15, my device had a few suggestions to pin conversations in Messages, which I did. It synced to my other, non Public Beta devices. I didn’t know that was possible. I was somewhat surprised and amazed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Me too. I didn’t use widgets before.
I’m using Safari on a daily basis, and after getting used to it I prefer the way it works with iPadOS 15.
After the update to iPadOS 15, my device had a few suggestions to pin conversations in Messages, which I did. It synced to my other, non Public Beta devices. I didn’t know that was possible. I was somewhat surprised and amazed.

Pinned conversations were introduced in iOS 14. The suggestions are new, I think. I’ve been using the feature for a couple of my conversations.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple released the following updates:
iOS, tvOS 14.7; watchOS 7.6, an update for the HomePod (14.7); an update for Safari on macOS Catalina and Mojave (14.1.2)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts