What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Johanna - just took a look on my iPhone XR and no updates appeared, so looking on Apple HERE, the iOS 14.2.1 seems to be for the newest iPhone 12s only, as shown below. Dave :)
View attachment 90534

ADDENDUM: Check osXdaily for more on the iPhone 12 updates,
Thank you for the information! :)
I couldn‘t find that when I posted above. Apple‘s site (the one you’ve linked to in your post) still doesn‘‘t show the information. And this one doesn‘t show it‘s for the iPhone 12 series only:
About iOS 14 Updates

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The most recent updates:
14.2.1 for HomePod and HomePod mini
iCloud for Windows 11.5 for Windows 10 and later

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 14.3, as well as watchOS 7.2, macOS Big Sur 11.1, and tvOS 14.3.

Well, last night I updated our 2 iPhones & 2 iPads to 14.3 w/o a problem; will do my Apple TV today - as to Big Sur 11.1, the version I was waiting for to consider upgrading on my 2 of 3 compatible Macs - decided to wait a week or so and decide - wife & I are doing fine on Catalina and except for the new addition of a 'Control Center' (which we like on the iDevices), not enough 'new and needed' for me at this time? Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 14.4, tvOS 14.4, watchOS 7.3, a software update (14.4) for HomePod, and iCloud for Windows 12.0.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today, Apple released watchOS 7.3.1 for the Apple Watch 5 and SE. It fixes a charging problem.

These updates have been released earlier this month:
Safari 14.0.3 for macOS Catalina and Mojave
macOS Bis Sur 11.2.1
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Supplemental Update
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Security Update 2021-002

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I updated to iOS 14.5 last night on our iPad and iPhones and I have spotted one problem: I have a very old app, Memo, which is no longer supported by the developer, but it has continued to work very successfully - in fact it improved with age as it no longer crashed. Starting it up this morning produces the popup: ' 'Memo' needs to be updated. The developer of this app needs to update it to work on this version of iOS.'

At a guess it is unlikely that it will be updated and hence the sketches and notes I made and saved in the app are lost as they are no longer accessible. I am surprised that an Apple pre-update warning was not given, after all loads of useful apps are produced by developers who come and go. The inability of some apps to continue to work with iOS14.5 was I assume noted in beta trials - as with other apps - but which ones?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
FWIW, Apple has never shown any concern about third-party apps broken by OS updates. We're always on our own, with the only warnings coming from user forums like this one, MacInTouch, etc. My iMac is still on El Capitan because I occasionally still need my Adobe CS3 apps, but not enough to justify spending $1k to update them to run under whatever California landmark is popular this week.

Their motto has gone from "computing the for the rest of us" to "my way or the highway."

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A few more no longer work: Trace Route Network Utility, Mr. Battery, Wi-Fi Checker, Mercury (used to be a good browser), Radio on my iPad.
On my iPhone, as well as some of the above, MuseiCapitolini, but I expect that this will be updated, although I will have to use my VPN set to Milan or Rome to get the app or update once Italy recovers from COVID.

I have a local bus app working on iPhone iOs14.5 but not iPad OS14.5

One or two apps thought that I do not have an internet connection.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After installing iPadOS 14.5, I got one "needs to be updated" alert, for a handy unit conversion app called Vert. Oddly, the same app worked in iOS 14.5 on an iPhone SE (1st gen). I deleted and reinstalled Vert on the iPad from the App Store, and bingo, it's now fine. I have no explanation, but the moral is don't give up too easily.

Most reactions

Latest posts