What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Last Thread I Promise] Problem restoring iPad

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I decided to try restoring my iPad to its unjailbroken status, so I put it into DFU mode and reset it to factory settings. But apparently I screwed up -- iTunes only keeps one iPad backup, and the one it has is from a post-jailbreak sync. On a whim I'm trying to restore to that backup, but it seems to be hanging on the "estimating time remaining" popup (it's been there for about half an hour now). All I want on the iPad is my legitimate and official apps, etc.

Is this normal? If not, how can I rectify the problem? Is it that I'm trying to restore from a post-jailbreak backup? If I choose just to set up the iPad as a new device, then sync it with my library, will I lose my incremental data (comics in Comiczeal 4, documents I've written in Pages, etc)?

OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What os are you trying to go back to?

I had it at 3.2, but iTunes forced it into 3.2.1 when I applied DFU.

Could be a bad backup.

I would let it sit for an hour just to see if it does anything then rebook.

"Rebook"? What does that mean?

I'll leave it for an hour or so more and update appropriately. But in the interim, do you know if setting it up as a new iPad and then syncing it with my library will delete stuff like my Pages documents etc?

OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to be restoring now, albeit slowly. New question: What are the ramifications of restoring a non-jailbroken iPad from a post-jailbreak sync? Will I lose any disk space or anything weird like that?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
What os are you trying to go back to?

I had it at 3.2, but iTunes forced it into 3.2.1 when I applied DFU.

Could be a bad backup.

I would let it sit for an hour just to see if it does anything then rebook.

"Rebook"? What does that mean?

I'll leave it for an hour or so more and update appropriately. But in the interim, do you know if setting it up as a new iPad and then syncing it with my library will delete stuff like my Pages documents etc?

I ment reboot not rebook, was a typo.

if the backup doesnt work it may be bad and you will have to setup as a new device. and yes you will lose all the data like documents inside pages.

if your jailbroken backup installs than you should be fine with all data in tact.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Mike, but CRAP. Restore was successful, sort of. "10 MB photos, 13.13 GB other, 15.84 GB free". Nothing but home screen apps are there, none of my legit apps.

Is there ANY way I can recover lost files, like my Pages document? It's important, and really the only necessary thing stopping me from setting it up as a new iPad and syncing fresh from my library.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If the restore says it worked. install the missing apps and the data should still be there.

if the backup failed to restore then no there is no way that i know of to get back the documents.

OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the restore says it worked. install the missing apps and the data should still be there.

if the backup failed to restore then no there is no way that i know of to get back the documents.

Okay, thanks Mike. Out of curiosity, do you know what all that taken-up space could be?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

Okay, thanks Mike. Out of curiosity, do you know what all that taken-up space could be?

When you restore a backup all the data gets put back in place.

So if you have documents for pages they get put back on the ipad even if pages is not installed. Once pages is installed the documents will show in the app.

OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Stupid question, I know, but how do I "install pages" without syncing? Do you mean use the App Store to download it again? Or do you mean work some wizardry from inside iTunes?

OP
A

Adrenochrome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app downloaded okay, but when I opened it there was nothing there except the "get started with Pages" bit. Crap, crap, crap. Oh, well. Guess it's restore to factory and sync with library afresh for me. Thanks for the help, though; I do appreciate it. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts