What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Larger flash drives for photography

Dwight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to know if Apple plans on allowing the ipad to be expandable (e.g- are user going to be allowed to increase the flash drive size with something larger). I'm a photographer and would love to take the ipad travelling and download my photos on the ipad. But 64gigs is to small (especially while shooting RAW). Maybe a 128 or 250 gig flash. . I do have a laptop but for mobility this ipad fits the bill.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not, that would be the equivalent of upgrading the hard drive in an iPhone.

Perhaps you could carry a small USB drive with you as well or something.

OP
D

Dwight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sort of defeats to purpose of mobile. Logic would suggest that because the ipad is a larger device one should be able to expand the internal storage. Maybe, Apple is planning to introduce the ipad pro.

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a photographer as well, but i doubt there will be an iPad Pro. I need the larger power from a MacBook for editing! I think of the iPad as more of a digital portfolio and of course web, email and game system!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well they are going to release a camera kit that will provide 2 dongles, one to plug a camera (or I assume any mass storage device) and the other would be for an SD card. So you will be able to view your photos you take on the go.....no problem!

lp1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the camera kit might only allow you to import into the photos app. I am holding off purchasing the camera kit until i know more.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the camera kit might only allow you to import into the photos app. I am holding off purchasing the camera kit until i know more.
I think you are correct that camera kit will only allow pictures (and maybe movies) to be imported to your "camera roll" album. IMO it is meant for the general public who uses a point and shoot camera. 64Gb is plenty of space for that. For those with more advanced equipment, I think the iPad will be a great way to show off your shots after they have been processed on a Mac/PC.

Hopefully, sometime down the road, Apple will expand the camera kits functionality. If not, I am sure the jailbreak community will find way.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are correct that camera kit will only allow pictures (and maybe movies) to be imported to your "camera roll" album. IMO it is meant for the general public who uses a point and shoot camera. 64Gb is plenty of space for that. For those with more advanced equipment, I think the iPad will be a great way to show off your shots after they have been processed on a Mac/PC.

Hopefully, sometime down the road, Apple will expand the camera kits functionality. If not, I am sure the jailbreak community will find way.

You will have to be able to preview images before importing them tho, so I think you will be able to preview them off the card. Specs say it will support RAW also.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too agree...the iPad will be the best business promotion & portfolio device on the market. A great way to load shots while on location (key images for concept & proofing with a client) to better acclimate them to the quality of the shots just taken (un-touched yet straight out of the camera) for quick selection or purchase once post-production work flow has been completed.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would really be cool is to get Eye-Fi to work using that SD camera kit from Apple.

It would be like walking about with your camera yet sending all the photos for quick editing, viewing or for client approval... direct to the iPad :ipad-peacock:

Here is the Eye-Fi iPhone app that uses the card to send photos from the iPhone to a PC or Mac, maybe even an iPad with the right mod or who knows, just out of the box.

Last edited:

Most reactions