What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of storage

stef33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
I am trying to load IOS 8.0.2 on to my iPhone and it is saying it requires at least 4.7 GB of storage and go to Usage Settings to delete items.
In Usage Settings it says I have used 10.7 with only 2.5 GB available
The only options seem to me is to delete My photos 3.2 and/or My music 2.1. Both these are synced with my iPad and PC.
I wondered whether anyone has any other suggestion to sort out my storage? Is best not to upgrade phone?
If my only option is to reduce photos or music: do I just delete them?
Any help would be really welcomed.
Thanks
Steve

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi
I am trying to load IOS 8.0.2 on to my iPhone and it is saying it requires at least 4.7 GB of storage and go to Usage Settings to delete items.
In Usage Settings it says I have used 10.7 with only 2.5 GB available
The only options seem to me is to delete My photos 3.2 and/or My music 2.1. Both these are synced with my iPad and PC.
I wondered whether anyone has any other suggestion to sort out my storage? Is best not to upgrade phone?
If my only option is to reduce photos or music: do I just delete them?
Any help would be really welcomed.
Thanks
Steve

I'd recommend using your computer to upgrade your device. Reason being is that if you update via OTA, even after the update is deleted, your device will still lose 500MB for caching purposes. By using the check for update feature on iTunes, you won't have to download the delta onto your device, meaning you won't have to delete anything to make room, and two, you keep the 500MB towards something else that actually requires space rather than just essentially "throwing it away".

EDIT: Johanna beat me to the punch :p Follow her instructional link and you'll be good to go.

OP
S

stef33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd recommend using your computer to upgrade your device. Reason being is that if you update via OTA, even after the update is deleted, your device will still lose 500MB for caching purposes. By using the check for update feature on iTunes, you won't have to download the delta onto your device, meaning you won't have to delete anything to make room, and two, you keep the 500MB towards something else that actually requires space rather than just essentially "throwing it away".

EDIT: Johanna beat me to the punch :p Follow her instructional link and you'll be good to go.
thanks for the advice

Most reactions