What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of general storage

Malcolm R

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am continually being advised that my 16gb of General storage was full so I purchased 58mb from Apple for 0.79p per month. This is going straight to icloud storage and not solving my problem. How do I get the extra 58gb into General storage????

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am continually being advised that my 16gb of General storage was full so I purchased 58mb from Apple for 0.79p per month. This is going straight to icloud storage and not solving my problem. How do I get the extra 58gb into General storage????
Unfortunately you can’t buy extra iPad or iPhone storage in addition to the original specification. ICloud storage stores data away from your device and is not the same as local storage. If you are running out of local storage the only remedy is to delete superfluous Apps and data.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Malcolm - welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that the iPadOS and associated files is using about 4 GB of your storage and some 'free' storage is needed for ordinary function and also if updating/upgrading to a newer iOS. As mentioned by Jupiter7, I assume that you purchased extra iCloud storage (my plan is 50 GB for $1 USD/month) but don't understand your numbers. As suggested you can delete apps and upload some of your data, including photos, to the cloud. Let us know what storage you do have left and what iPadOS your device is on - might impact on other suggestions. Of course, my main recommendation is to purchase a new/used/refurbished 'newer' iPad with much more storage (at least 32 or 64 GB), just saying. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When temporarily deleting apps to free up storage space make sure to check first to see if the apps are still in the App Store. If they’re no longer in the App Store you won’t be able to reinstall them.

Sometimes you can install older-version of apps you’ve previously purchased. You have to go to your purchased app list to see and reinstall them. It’s not a guarantee though. The developer can choose not to leave older apps available. Or Apple can remove them if they determine they are no longer fujctional (even with the older OS), or other reasons.

Most of the time old apps are available to those who previously pruchased them, and are still on the older version of iOS/iPadOS.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can install older-version of apps you’ve previously purchased. You have to go to your purchased app list to see and reinstall them. It’s not a guarantee though. The developer can choose not to leave older apps available. Or Apple can remove them if they determine they are no longer fujctional (even with the older OS), or other reasons.

Most of the time old apps are available to those who previously pruchased them, and are still on the older version of iOS/iPadOS.

I have some apps that Apple has removed from the App Store and are no longer in my purchase history. The apps still work but I can’t install them on my newer devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have some apps that Apple has removed from the App Store and are no longer in my purchase history. The apps still work but I can’t install them on my newer devices.

Yep. Some apps get removed from the store, and some don’t. Given that both the developer and Apple have say in this, it is very unpredictable. Nothing you should depend on happeing. However, it’s worth a look before you give up.

I have quite a few apps in my purchased list that no longer show up in the App Store. Some I can still download, some tell me that the developer needs to update the app for it to work on my current iPad. If I had an older iPad, I could probably still download and uses those.

Most reactions

Latest posts