What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kindle, nook, etc into ibooks ??

CharlesR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I enjoy the reading experience in iBooks the most, but of course I've downloaded all of those "other" ebook apps as well. All of those other readers have books in their libraries that have been downloaded from their particular store. Question../

Is it possible to move those other ebooks into my iBook library?

OP
CharlesR

CharlesR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why should they even care "where" I want read a ook after you buy that book from "them" to begin with? If you buy a paper book from Borders or wherever,they don't make you sit right there in the store and read the whole thing? Estrange..

Reaction score
CharlesR said:
Why should they even care "where" I want read a ook after you buy that book from "them" to begin with? If you buy a paper book from Borders or wherever,they don't make you sit right there in the store and read the whole thing? Estrange..

True. But you cannot simply copy a paper book, scanning every single page would take a long time. Ebook's on the other hand could be copied within seconds.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, I agree that it is kind of redundant to have so many different electronic document formats. As I understand it, the difference between a "real" book and an electronic one is that when you purchase an electronic edition, you are not actually buying the book but are only buying the rights to it and those rights are granted by the seller, not the publisher.

The bottom line is that you don't really own the electronic edition.

Last edited:

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1991-C4 said:
First of all, I agree that it is kind redundant to have so many different electronic document formats. As I understand it, the difference between a "real" book and an electronic one is that when you purchase an electronic edition, you are not actually buying the book but are only buying the rights to it and those rights are granted by the seller, not the publisher.

The bottom line is that you don't really own the electronic edition.

Agreed, you don't own the actual book, just the rights to read the book. Where I start to disagree with the whole DRM thing is when it comes to prices and which device I can read said book on. The price of mainstream books in ebook format is often higher than the printed version, and if at a later date I want to change my reader from the likes of iBooks to another reader then I'm stuffed, as far as I can determine iBook ePub formats can't be transferred to another device, at least I haven't figured out how to do it. I've goggled the subject with no obvious explanation on how it's done. There are those who offer software to do it at a price, but to be honest they all scream scam to me.

I'm not interested in pirating books or software, I believe the creator deserves payment for the creation. What I don't agree with is being tied to a device because of DRM, or being ripped off by publishers acting out of fear and fear alone. DRM Isn't there so much to protect the creators copyright, it's there more to protect publishers incomes. That's my opinion, some might disagree with it, but I'm entitled to it.

Most reactions

Latest posts